Vainglory Forums

I need help in choosing heroes in the Mid Tiers

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by B2BFire » April 25, 2017 7:44am | Report
OK,So I'm currently in T5 Bronze and just a loss away from demotion, so I need some advice or help on what heroes should I pick?
I'm a Captain Main but I can also use lane.
In the capt. role I preferably use Catherine or Phinn (Who's overall better? Also, who can synergize better with Petal? {'cause of a duo partner})
In the lane, I main Gwen but I can WP Vox or Ringo.
So I need some of the experienced players' opinions, what hero should I use to climb out of the Mid tiers? (ALSO, I'M IN THE SEA SERVER, if that changes anything?)
TAKA IS MY NAME AND INSTALOCKING IS MY GAME, but I don't main Taka I Just hate him.Also Gwen is best Grill

B2BFire
Quote | PM | +Rep by MagikarpUsedHyperBeam » April 25, 2017 8:05am | Report
I'm not on the SEA server but as far as win rates in SEA:
Catherine 53.81% win rate
Vox 51.34% win rate
Ringo 49.86% win rate
Gwen 49.81% (in NA its 53.32%)
Phinn 52.54%
Petal 53.64% (one of the least played heroes in SEA 1.8% pick rate)

If you are laning and your partner chooses Petal then I might choose Ringo or Gwen, because they both have a strong early game. If you are Roaming frequently with a Petal player I might suggest getting Fortress because he has a good early game, and can lock down them kills. Gwen doesn't appear to have as much presence on SEA, she only has a 3.9% pick rate. It might be smart to go with her for most of your laning since she has a strong early game. Phinn doesn't seem to mesh well with early game heroes, so I don't think he should be paired with a Petal. Catherine might be a better choice over Phinn when paired with Petal. So since I'm not in SEA I can't completely help you since I don't know the meta there. I would go with early game team comps and try to do frequent early game pushes and ganks. Try to force the enemy team out early and starve them of their gold.

MagikarpUsedHyperBeam
Notable (6)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Crimsonfire » April 26, 2017 10:39am | Report
Tier 5 is pretty easy to get by...if you play Phinn and your partner is a petal...you honestly have a pretty strong early game comp...Phinn B (polite company) has a pull effect and grants health and defensive stats to allies (great for squishy petal) just buy boots after the first jungle rotation because phinn is very slow naturally...I'll be honest though...your friend will need to learn to play more heros if you want to cross tier 7 where there will be draft phases even in solo q...so learning to counter draft is important...petal is not good against a koshka and Lance opposition since one impale on a petal followed by a few hits from koshka are enough to vapourise him...good captains this meta are Lance (always but hard to play) Catherine is great if you know how to use those stuns (cancel ultimate of adagio, Ringo, scaarf, etc)...at your tier nobody uses reflex block for its intended purpose (to block dangerous ability cc) they use it as a health barrier...so when you are level 6 on a phinn you can easily pull opponents into bad positions and easily gank them...tell your friend to buy a Frostburn on petal first since it allows his munions to apply the slow which is great for kiting and chasing...if you want to lane..Gwen is the meta now since the Buff to Tension bow...Tension Bow + sorrow blade + breaking point + double defense (if you are not confident in stutterstepping) or an aegis along with a bonesaw (for enemy phinn/Catherine) or poison shiv (enemy adagio/ozo/lyra/krul or ardan even) is all you need...I hope you build atlas against the SAW + lyra push comps...if you learn to apply atlas at tier 5 it's easy to take down laners...Ringo and Vox are very strong too but if you cannot stutterstep or get last hits on minions then it's no use...I have seen low tier laners will just clear the lane and stand by or run into jungle xD that's not how it's done...what you need to do as a laner is get last hits..like 10 cs per minute...and stutterstep...even as melee hero...stutterstepping increases your damage...even doubles it...I hope it helped I am a tier 8 I was tier 9 but didn't play for over a year

Crimsonfire
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by B2BFire » April 27, 2017 6:58am | Report
Crimsonfire wrote:

Tier 5 is pretty easy to get by...if you play Phinn and your partner is a petal...you honestly have a pretty strong early game comp...Phinn B (polite company) has a pull effect and grants health and defensive stats to allies (great for squishy petal) just buy boots after the first jungle rotation because phinn is very slow naturally...I'll be honest though...your friend will need to learn to play more heros if you want to cross tier 7 where there will be draft phases even in solo q...so learning to counter draft is important...petal is not good against a koshka and Lance opposition since one impale on a petal followed by a few hits from koshka are enough to vapourise him...good captains this meta are Lance (always but hard to play) Catherine is great if you know how to use those stuns (cancel ultimate of adagio, Ringo, scaarf, etc)...at your tier nobody uses reflex block for its intended purpose (to block dangerous ability cc) they use it as a health barrier...so when you are level 6 on a phinn you can easily pull opponents into bad positions and easily gank them...tell your friend to buy a Frostburn on petal first since it allows his munions to apply the slow which is great for kiting and chasing...if you want to lane..Gwen is the meta now since the Buff to Tension bow...Tension Bow + sorrow blade + breaking point + double defense (if you are not confident in stutterstepping) or an aegis along with a bonesaw (for enemy phinn/Catherine) or poison shiv (enemy adagio/ozo/lyra/krul or ardan even) is all you need...I hope you build atlas against the SAW + lyra push comps...if you learn to apply atlas at tier 5 it's easy to take down laners...Ringo and Vox are very strong too but if you cannot stutterstep or get last hits on minions then it's no use...I have seen low tier laners will just clear the lane and stand by or run into jungle xD that's not how it's done...what you need to do as a laner is get last hits..like 10 cs per minute...and stutterstep...even as melee hero...stutterstepping increases your damage...even doubles it...I hope it helped I am a tier 8 I was tier 9 but didn't play for over a year

I can sttuterstep, practiced it in blitz matches, also can my alternate build on gwen be a SB-TT-TM-DEF & T3 Boots?(since that was my build since 2.3), I can also land some stuns using cath when enemies are ulting, my only problem is the atlas, yeah I buy it when there's a krul or a glaive(when they charge at me) but as a Capt. sometimes in the early game I die before I could atlas the enemy, sometimes I atlas then I die, and about the cs, actually tbh I'm "better" than the other laner, ussually I have 100+ cs and the other laner has 60-70 cs, but sometimes I only have 80+ because of the late game, me & my friend always focuses on the other objectives like the Kraken or the Gold Mine and we add vision and sometimes counter jungle, so yeah, hope you can give me tips about the atlas problem and the late game csing.(Tnx 4 the other tips, btw.)
TAKA IS MY NAME AND INSTALOCKING IS MY GAME, but I don't main Taka I Just hate him.Also Gwen is best Grill

B2BFire
Quote | PM | +Rep by BossBoy » April 27, 2017 7:05am | Report
I'm also on the SEA server (Same rank too!) Wanna add me?
IGN: Thangproz
Server: SEA
Main: Jungle(90%),Carry(10%), Roam (practicing in casual)

BossBoy
Notable (12)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Crimsonfire » April 28, 2017 12:29am | Report
B2BFire wrote:

I can sttuterstep, practiced it in blitz matches, also can my alternate build on gwen be a SB-TT-TM-DEF & T3 Boots?(since that was my build since 2.3), I can also land some stuns using cath when enemies are ulting, my only problem is the atlas, yeah I buy it when there's a krul or a glaive(when they charge at me) but as a Capt. sometimes in the early game I die before I could atlas the enemy, sometimes I atlas then I die, and about the cs, actually tbh I'm "better" than the other laner, ussually I have 100+ cs and the other laner has 60-70 cs, but sometimes I only have 80+ because of the late game, me & my friend always focuses on the other objectives like the Kraken or the Gold Mine and we add vision and sometimes counter jungle, so yeah, hope you can give me tips about the atlas problem and the late game csing.(Tnx 4 the other tips, btw.)

The thing about Atlas is it is important against any weapon power carry or a carry who has an alternating current...WP krul and Glaive are less scary than a WP Ringo who has his full build...you need to remember that Atlas is like an on-line item and it has a very small range...so to apply atlas on your target you need to be in melee range...different Roam have different ways of using Atlas...I'll give you examples...
1) When I roam on Ardan I target the enemy WP laner and gauntlet him and apply atlas when he is close to me
2) When I am lyra I use arcane passage into the enemy laner...use bulwark to snarr him and apply atlas
3) on Catherine you can use your stun on the carry and then apply atlas to him...it's very easy to do...you'll see an attack slowed icon on top of the enemy hero's health bar
Your Gwen build is good...but after 2.3 hit...tyrant monocle was nerfed...now the best build on WP carry is Sorrowblade + Breaking point + Tornado trigger....but Gwen needs a Tension bow it helps her pressure lane early...and it stacks with her heroic perk...you can delete your enemy with 2 basic attacks and a buckshot if they build no defenses against you and you have a tension bow + sorrowblade
Breaking point is very useful when the fight is against tanky jungler/roam since it can stack up and essentially be stronger than a sorrowblade...

Crimsonfire
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by B2BFire » April 28, 2017 1:52am | Report
BossBoy wrote:

I'm also on the SEA server (Same rank too!) Wanna add me?

Sure! What's your IGN?

B2BFire
Quote | PM | +Rep by B2BFire » April 28, 2017 1:58am | Report
Crimsonfire wrote:

The thing about Atlas is it is important against any weapon power carry or a carry who has an alternating current...WP krul and Glaive are less scary than a WP Ringo who has his full build...you need to remember that Atlas is like an on-line item and it has a very small range...so to apply atlas on your target you need to be in melee range...different Roam have different ways of using Atlas...I'll give you examples...
1) When I roam on Ardan I target the enemy WP laner and gauntlet him and apply atlas when he is close to me
2) When I am lyra I use arcane passage into the enemy laner...use bulwark to snarr him and apply atlas
3) on Catherine you can use your stun on the carry and then apply atlas to him...it's very easy to do...you'll see an attack slowed icon on top of the enemy hero's health bar
Your Gwen build is good...but after 2.3 hit...tyrant monocle was nerfed...now the best build on WP carry is Sorrowblade + Breaking point + Tornado trigger....but Gwen needs a Tension bow it helps her pressure lane early...and it stacks with her heroic perk...you can delete your enemy with 2 basic attacks and a buckshot if they build no defenses against you and you have a tension bow + sorrowblade
Breaking point is very useful when the fight is against tanky jungler/roam since it can stack up and essentially be stronger than a sorrowblade...

Sure! I'll try that build, but one last question, should I now replace TM for TT always (on other heroes) for example Vox, I go BP then 2xTM should I do BP to 2xTT or something like that?

B2BFire
Quote | PM | +Rep by BossBoy » April 28, 2017 3:19am | Report
B2BFire
My IGN is Thangproz
IGN: Thangproz
Server: SEA
Main: Jungle(90%),Carry(10%), Roam (practicing in casual)

BossBoy
Notable (12)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Crimsonfire » April 30, 2017 2:52am | Report
B2BFire wrote:

Sure! I'll try that build, but one last question, should I now replace TM for TT always (on other heroes) for example Vox, I go BP then 2xTM should I do BP to 2xTT or something like that?

Every laner has their own specific build...I'll give you a list and some specific tips to change items situationally because you need to counter build to win
1) SAW - Serpent Mask, Sorrowblade, Breaking Point
2) Ringo - Sorrowblade, Breaking point, Tornado Trigger
3) Vox - Sorrowblade, Breaking point, Tornado Trigger...Breaking Point double monocle build was quite popular and it still works but now that attack speed of items has been nerfed it's not quite as effective
4) Gwen - Tension bow first item, Sorrowblade, Breaking Point
Now Buy a Bone Saw if you see enemies building armour or a Poison Shiv if enemy is ozo,krul,lyra,adagio, etc...
I hope it helps

Crimsonfire
Notable (2)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved