Vainglory Forums

New Template: Guide Table of Contents

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Mowen » December 3, 2014 1:07pm | Report
1. Welcome to the Jungle
1.1 goto and anchor
1.2 Are You Ready?
1.3 I'm Ready Just Show Me The Template!

I'm back with a snazzy new template that should make guide author's lives a LOT easier, at least if they want to make a nice looking Table of Contents for their guide. :)

[goto] and [anchor]

First, I am going to explain to you how [goto] and [anchor] works.

[goto] makes the clickable link that will direct you to the matching [anchor] tag.

So, if you want your chapter "Introduction" to be linked in your table of contents, you would need to make a [goto=Introduction]Text goes here...[/goto] link, similar to a [url] link. Now, this link will take you to the closest anchor tag with a matching name. So, you would put [anchor=Introduction] at the start of your Introduction chapter.

NOW YOU MAY FORGET EVERYTHING BUT THE ANCHOR LINK!

My template will automatically make a goto link for your table of contents chapters with the same name as you put for the chapter. So, above if my chapter name is "Are You Ready?" then the anchor will have to be [anchor=Are You Ready?]. Beware it IS case sensitive!

I've gone ahead and attached a [anchor=Are You Ready?] anchor to the box below. Go ahead, try clicking on the "So I herd..." chapter in the table of contents at the top!

Are You Ready?

How To Use the Template

The template requires input for every big chapter / chapter you want. It has a simple naming convention, just remember:
  • template="Guide Table of Contents"
  • big-chapter-x="Big chapter title here"
  • chapter-x-y="chapter title here"
Just repeat for every big chapter and subchapter you want. Numbers only go up to 9 for both big and little chapters. So, if you want big chapter 1 to be "Introduction" and chapter 1.1 to be "Who am I?" you would write...

[template="Guide Table of Contents" big-chapter-1="Introduction" chapter-1-1="Who am I?"]

which would make...

1. Introduction
1.1 Who am I?

As your table of contents gets longer it will become a pretty long string of code, however, let me promise you this is 1000 times easier than writing the actual table of contents code every time. Let me show you an example from a guide I recently coded:

"Hand-written" ToC

1. Introduction
1.1 Why Mecha Wonder Woman?

2. Amplifiers
2.1 Mods
2.2 Augments

3. Abilities

4. Stolen Powers

5. Items
5.1 Starting Items
5.2 Core Items
5.3 Late Game Items
5.4 Optional Items
5.5 Item Build Order
5.6 Complete Build

6. Gameplay
6.1 Early Game
6.2 Mid Game
6.3 Late Game
6.4 Kiting and how to play teamfights correctly

7. The End

CODE
Template ToC

1. Introduction
1.1 Why Mecha Wonder Woman?

2. Amplifiers
2.1 Mods
2.2 Augments

3. Abilities

4. Stolen Powers

5. Items
5.1 Starting Items
5.2 Core Items
5.3 Late Game Items
5.4 Optional Items
5.5 Item Build Order
5.6 Complete Build

6. Gameplay
6.1 Early Game
6.2 Mid Game
6.3 Late Game
6.4 Kiting and how to play teamfights correctly

7. The End

CODE

That being said, this also served as a tutorial on how to make table of contents yourself. So, if you feel like making your own custom one, knock yourself out. Personally, I will be sticking to the template from now on! >:D

After you make your table of contents you just have to put the anchor links (read above) in the proper places throughout your guide. The anchor name will be the same as the chapter name!

I hope you guys enjoy this template, I thought it would make your lives a lot easier! :)

If you have any questions just post them below. I know this one is more complicated than the last so, I'll be here to help you out!

Mowen
<Administrator>
Remarkable (47)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Zyronl » December 3, 2014 4:22pm | Report
I'm going to put this in my guide... But I'm not going to learn it now... Seems over complicated lol.
I have a really big guide coming up, but due to school I cannot finish it. Sorry guys :(

Zyronl
Notable (14)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Mowen » December 3, 2014 5:04pm | Report
I find it easiest to write out your chapters ahead of time, then just copy them into the template.

Mowen
<Administrator>
Remarkable (47)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Zyronl » December 4, 2014 5:40am | Report
Mowen wrote:

I find it easiest to write out your chapters ahead of time, then just copy them into the template.

I'm just going to type them all out YOLO style. Thanks for the hard work on this! Also, omg the hand written one is long.
I have a really big guide coming up, but due to school I cannot finish it. Sorry guys :(

Zyronl
Notable (14)
Quote | PM | +Rep by dream21 » December 4, 2014 3:30pm | Report
Wow! I'm positive this will be of help to keep guides even neater! But it's a loooooot of code.
IGN: dream21
Region: NA

dream21
<Editor>
Notable (6)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Mowen » December 4, 2014 9:47pm | Report
It depends on how long your table of contents is. :P I know it looks like a lot but it's quite simple if you just remember big-chapter-x and chapter-x-y.

Mowen
<Administrator>
Remarkable (47)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Zyronl » December 5, 2014 9:21pm | Report
Ohh i got the hang of this. Major update coming for my Joule guide, so im archiving it to test :)

Zyronl
Notable (14)
Quote | PM | +Rep by LilWolfPup » February 8, 2017 1:03pm | Report
I used the template, but it doesn't auto add the goto link (made title same). Or I'm doing somethin wrong. Can you take a look?

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
LilWolfPup
<Editor>
Notable (16)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Dash » February 8, 2017 1:43pm | Report
LilWolfPup wrote:

I used the template, but it doesn't auto add the goto link (made title same). Or I'm doing somethin wrong. Can you take a look?

Hey there, yep you're forgetting to add the actual anchor link to the sections you wrote so for example in your "Other Stuff" Section of your guide you'd put at the top [ anchor=Other Stuff ] (just without the spaces).
Be Awesome To One Another

Dash
<Community Manager>
Remarkable (38)
Quote | PM | +Rep by LilWolfPup » February 8, 2017 5:20pm | Report
Dash wrote:

Hey there, yep you're forgetting to add the actual anchor link to the sections you wrote so for example in your "Other Stuff" Section of your guide you'd put at the top [ anchor=Other Stuff ] (just without the spaces).

Ahhhhh all right ty (how many times have u answered my questions? :P)

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
LilWolfPup
<Editor>
Notable (16)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved