Vainglory Forums

How pinging says more

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by escapevelocity » December 14, 2014 3:51pm | Report
First off, I'd like to say that I'm not an experienced player. At this nor any other MOBA. So, if I do make any mistakes or offend anyone, please, do tell me.

One of the few weak links in this game is the communication system. Even though it has pings, from what I've read so far, most people believe that it is hard to communicate in-game without an actual chat system. I aim to mediate between the lack of chat and the ping system, to improve the team-iness of a team. You never know when the following information will come in handy for a new player.

Pings are used to communicate with your team. Use them to avoid being aced by a coordinated enemy that wolf-packs your team one by one.

The "GO" Ping

This is your generic "go here" ping in a moba. If someone pings "go," he/she might be trying to communicate for you to:
    Literally GO here.
    Assist at a certain location, either to attack or defend.
    Carry out reconnaissance at a certain location (e.g. the Kraken).
    Wait at a certain location (perhaps in ambush).
    If he/she pings his/her hero, they might be asking you to follow them.
    Using a ping first on your hero then on desired location, might be communicating for you to go somewhere at the beginning of a game (e.g. Adagio being pinged to go lane).
    Trying to get your attention.

The "Avoid" Ping

The avoid ping comes in handy when trying to alert your team to danger, but can also have other meanings.
    Literally avoid a location or a player.
    To not step into a certain bush.
    To fall back and take a second-line role or to recall.
    To not go lane or jungle at the beginning of the game.
    To stop doing something (e.g. attacking a jungle mob whilst on low health).
    To not follow an enemy and risk overextending.
    Trying to get your attention.

The "On the Way" Ping

The On the Way ping is the way for one to communicate where they are headed or to inform teammates of incoming support.
    Communicating where one is going at the beginning of the match.
    To say "support is coming"
    To tell other teammates where one is going in order to avoid nasty surprises (e.g. pinging enemy minion mine to avoid being ambushed)
    To communicate that one has respawned or healed and is on the way to the lane, so the jungler can go back to jungling.

Pings are critical to the success of the team, as they are currently the only means of communication available in-game. Any of the above pings can be used together to combine meanings (e.g. pinging avoid on a friendly player going jungle and then pinging go on the lane, asking them to head lane instead of jungle)

If I have missed any meanings, please do tell me. Also, I have a question: Why do people ping avoid inside the base at the beginning of a match?

Yes, I agree that a more advanced form of communication would be a lot better for strategizing and overall gameplay.

tl;dr
Use the Pings!
IGN: escapevelocity
Region: NA
Main: Adagio
Practicing: Ringo

"And that was the last time they underestimated an Adagio."

escapevelocity
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by dream21 » December 14, 2014 5:19pm | Report
Lovely job!
Just like on the other site! ^o^ And they might ping "Avoid" at the beginning in the base since A. they may have accidentally pressed it and when they went to move it pinged the avoid. Or B. They want to get the attention of everyone who may have gone to focus on something else just before the match starts or if an ally seems too still, and should be moving already.
IGN: dream21
Region: NA

dream21
<Editor>
Notable (6)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved