Vainglory Forums

How To Stream

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by wolf_hands » March 24, 2015 9:08am | Report
For anyone curious :) Note: I use an iMac to stream. The essentials should work on both OS X and Windows. And there are other ways, this is just my set up. Thankfully, most everything is free.

Applications:
- Essentials -
- Extras and Mac Specific -
Steps for set up
  • Download the essentials. We'll start with how to get your iDevice up to your computer.
  • Plug your iDevice up to your computer using your charging cable, unlock the screen, and keep it up (it'll make a step easier later).
  • QuickTime should work on both OS X and Windows, open it. Open a "New Movie Recording". For me it opens to the webcam showing my delightful face. Move your curser around on the window, right next to the red record button should be a downward arrow in the shape of a "v", click it to bring up a a dropdown menu. Choose your iDevice as the Camera. It should resize the window to your iDevice; I usually flick between home pages on my iPad which helps QuickTime connect up. Not sure why, but it helps. If it comes up with an error, close the recording and the app, and try again.
  • Remeber that "v"? Go back to it and choose your iDevice for the sound as well.
  • Next, open OBS. There are several settings, and since I'm at work typing this up, I'm going off memory :P First go to the Stream section. Input your stream key and make sure the other settings on this page match up for you (key can be found on twitch; go to your dashboard, and then one of the headers should be stream key). If you have bad internet, make sure to lower the output bit rate. Mess around with this while a friend is watching to find out how low it should actually be. The other major settings that need to be changed are your input and output. This is also where my set up becomes more Mac specific.
  • OS X users will need to open Soundflower now. It should just be a menu bar app, once it appears, just let it be. Open Sound on your system settings on your Mac, change the input to "Soundflower ch 2". Now change the input sound on OBS to that same channel. Also, add your mic as the default mic.
  • Close OBS's settings, on the main screen there should be two blank boxes near the bottom. The one on the left is for your different "Scenes" or overlays, and the one on the right is how you change each overlay. On this box, hit the plus symbol. Choose Window Capture. On the window that comes up click the dropdown menu and choose QuickTime. Resize the window however you like. Now do the same thing, but choose audio capture/input. On its dropdown menu choose Soundflower ch 2.
  • You should have visuals and sound (don't forget to turn the volume up slightly on QuickTime) on your stream. For OS X users, if you want to hear everything, open Linein, and change it to where the first option is Soundflower ch 2 and the second is your headset.
  • If you'd like music, open that up, hit play, but make sure the volume is low or it'll be the only thing anyone hears.
  • If you want chat to appear, I open Safari up to my twitch page (replace my user name with yours to find it: twitch.tv/wolf_hands), and pop out the chat under the settings. Then on OBS add window capture and choose Safari. Make sure the chat is the only window up.
  • If you want a fancier overlay, use your photo editor to make one.
  • I like having twitter up in case someone tweets at me. My twitter app of choice is Tweetbot.

This is definitely not the most detailed set up, but for starters it should get you up and running! :)

If you are wondering how bots work, I haven't delved into that myself yet. I need to though.
IGN: wolf_hands
NA Regional Community Manager for SEMC
I'm on Twitter and Twitch too!

wolf_hands
<SEMC Staff>
Remarkable (22)
Quote | PM | +Rep by GRIMMLATIFA » March 24, 2015 2:50pm | Report
This is great, dude. Thanks!

I actually have no interest in streaming, but I do want to record games, and had no idea it was this simple!

GRIMMLATIFA
Quote | PM | +Rep by Cwallace000 » March 25, 2015 7:22am | Report
i was always interested in streaming but you just shot that dream out the window thats too complex for me
IGN: cwallace000
Lvl: 20
Wins: 219
Main character(lane): Ringo
Main character(jungle): Ardan
Alt characters(jungle): Koshka, Krul, Taka, Catherine, and Joule
Alt characters(lane): Petal
practicing: Adagio, and Glaive

Cwallace000
<Editor>
Notable (3)
Quote | PM | +Rep by wolf_hands » March 25, 2015 8:40am | Report
@GRIMMLATIFA You can actually record using OBS as well. It'll be saved as a ".flv" file I believe but you just need to grab Handbrake (Free as well: https://handbrake.fr/) to switch it over to an .mp4 to upload to YouTube.

@Cwallace000 xD I didn't mean to! Writing all the steps out makes it look like more of a struggle than it really is. If I recorded how to set it up it would look easier.
IGN: wolf_hands
NA Regional Community Manager for SEMC
I'm on Twitter and Twitch too!

wolf_hands
<SEMC Staff>
Remarkable (22)
Quote | PM | +Rep by MrWreckHD » April 3, 2015 2:40am | Report
Your music player is Vox ;) ohhhh the irony...Great tutorial man, thanks for taking the time to help everyone ^^
IGN: MrWreckHD
Lvl: 6
Wins: 20
Main character(lane): Ringo
Main character(jungle): Catherine
Alt characters(jungle): Koshka , Glaive
Alt characters(lane): Petal
Practicing: SAW , Taka , Adagio

MrWreckHD
Quote | PM | +Rep by GRIMMLATIFA » April 3, 2015 5:15pm | Report
wolf_hands wrote:

@GRIMMLATIFA You can actually record using OBS as well. It'll be saved as a ".flv" file I believe but you just need to grab Handbrake (Free as well: https://handbrake.fr/) to switch it over to an .mp4 to upload to YouTube.

@Cwallace000 xD I didn't mean to! Writing all the steps out makes it look like more of a struggle than it really is. If I recorded how to set it up it would look easier.

@wolf_hands Don't even need OBS. I was able to record a high-bitrate H264 directly from Quicktime, and just used Adobe Media Encoder to press it down to a smaller bitrate. Very happy with the results.

Of course Murphy's Law would have it that I never seem to record my most epic games. :P

So I see a lot of people on Twitch reference using Blackmagic Intensity Pros. Are those mainly for people streaming PC games to a separate streaming PC? Is there any advantage to using it for iPad streaming?

GRIMMLATIFA
Quote | PM | +Rep by GRIMMLATIFA » April 9, 2015 5:14pm | Report
Also, nice job breaking down tonight's Vaingloryleague matches.

Man, I want to see a Wicked/Nemesis matchup.

GRIMMLATIFA

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved