Vainglory Forums

Suggested fixes

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by The_Black_Ronin » May 24, 2015 8:44pm | Report
I've an older player with real world experience and logic under my belt. My job requires multiple views from multiple angles to determine the best COA (to include risk management). Having played Vainglory for a while now, I have a few suggestions that would benefit the game.

1. The tiered ranking system is over-engineered; simplify it. You're ELO system needs to be adjusted. There are too many variables keeping it from a well-balanced ELO system. One of the primary problem with your ELO system is that your matchmaking engine is ineffective. Your matchmaking system seems too simplified, in that it only pulls players within the same tier (maybe even color). What it can't predict/take into consideration is that a player might be using his second (or third option) if his primary player has been taken. Skill levels drop significantly when you have to now redesign your strategy on the fly. My primary is Taka. However, I can use Celeste if needed, but I won't pull the same stats with her as I would Taka. I don't practice enough with other characters to be as effective as my primary (and why should I? I want to be the best at THAT character, not PRETTY GOOD with a bunch of others). Back to the ELO system, I can win a couple of matches with sub-par stats (maybe an 11/8/5 line, 2nd on the team) or have a couple of great matches (maybe an 15-20/5/6 stat line, 1st on team) and barely progress in the tier. Or I can go on a losing streak with similar stats lines (and carry the team or deal with AFKs) because I have sub-par teammates (either on their 2nd or 3rd options, can't strategize/selfish play, etc.) and drop line a stone in the tier system. I understand your ELO system is more than wins/losses and stats, but maybe that's what it should be. Players can't be penalized for elements outside of their control (primarily their teammates). The system should know if players are playing against odds (such as AFKs, immature teammates, etc) and adjust the ELO scoring accordingly.

2. There needs to be better in-game chat. I understand the concern with angry rants, etc., however, there needs to be in-game chat functionality to adjust strategy or at least help the leader direct traffic (without using an "!" or "?"). Some pre-made phrases or voice chat options would be good. You're always going to have someone abuse the system, but the risk is worth accepting to gain a better reward (better team strategy).

3. When adjusting items, consider the losses of all players. For example, when you nerf Ironguard Contract, as Taka, I'm not using it for the money; I'm using it for the health regeneration. If you take this away, you need to adjust the loss somewhere else. Weak players, like Taka, have an incredibly tough start, levels 1-6. Weak characters should have been adjusted to compensate the difference or another item corrected.

4. Likewise for character adjustments. There is something fundamentally wrong when a level 12 Krul can take out an entire team of level 12s (Taka, Vox, Koshka). There needs to be some level of equal footing in 1 v 1. As Taka, there is no way I can bring down a Krul solo, even if I am higher ranking. Get the balance corrected please.

I have more ideas, but this thread is getting too high already. Looking forward to some responses.

The_Black_Ronin

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved