Vainglory Forums

Can people people who choose "roam" actually build as a tank?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by rran6970 » December 4, 2015 6:35pm | Report
It's reasonable to expect the roamer to go tanky but there are many ways to support, not just go tank. crucible, fountain and ap are all good support items, but fb and bs are also good too. not to say cp catherine, wp ardan can be a great problem.

tbh, I also hate those carry don't build any defense items make them super squishy and won't even last for 1s in a proper game. Or say, who would be that stupid to attack a roamer not a carry? if you expect opponent team to attack your tanky roamer then you lose the game from the beginning.

I don't agree with your statement. But I would love to see a build from you.

Lets say you were going to play 1 of these heroes,

Catherine
Ardan
Phinn

How would you build them. Lets just say you have a wp Glaive, Cp Ringo and a Catherine on the other team because we all know it is situational.

Hey, firstly, I just want to say that I just clicked those purple"+rep" beside your post and have no idea what it is...

then, I'm learning to support now. I thought it would depend on opponents build in order to counter build? anyway, my build would be:

fountain, crucible, contraption/warhorn, one or two of AP/SS/FB/BS, boots, infusion crystals

fountain and crucible are must, giving hp regen and RB. contraption for taka, warhorn for chasing or escaping. AP/SS/FB for slow, BS for lots of armor. infusion crystals for occasional invading or defensing.

rran6970
Quote | PM | +Rep by asiankatemoss » December 5, 2015 11:34am | Report

I don't agree with your statement. But I would love to see a build from you.

Lets say you were going to play 1 of these heroes,

Catherine
Ardan
Phinn

How would you build them. Lets just say you have a wp Glaive, Cp Ringo and a Catherine on the other team because we all know it is situational.

you don't think that those who elect for "roamer" ought to build support items? How do you demarcate between the roles of later, jungler and roamer then?

With Catherine, I generally build:
Clockwork
Contraption
Aftershock
Boots
Atlas pauldron/crucible/fountain or crucible/eve of harvest

The cooldown from clockwork, contraption and aftershock means i can stun and use my stormguard every few seconds for my team and also for my hero perk

With Ardan I generally focus more on health items to boost the utility of his vanguard
Crucible
Warhorn
Fountain
Shiversteel
Boots
Atlas Pouldron (situational)
And either an aftershock or a clockwork

asiankatemoss
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by SexyMonkeyKing » December 5, 2015 5:05pm | Report
What I didn't agree with was building just tanky/ utility items. Yes those are great but I have seen teams steam rolled because a roam wasn't able to do damage. Take out both the lane and jungle players and you are left with a weak hero with a lot of health.

Looking at your Catherine build you only built one defensive item.

With Adran I usually build a breaking point because of the extra health you have is going to keep you in the fight longer. So the build up to the extra damage is dangerous.
IGN: SexyMonkeyKing
Region: NA
Main: Usually any Support
Great Karma
Karma Lvl: 20

SexyMonkeyKing
Notable (12)
Quote | PM | +Rep by EXXCLUSIVE » December 6, 2015 11:46am | Report
I would like to say that some of us who are hardcore support players feel as though we can contribute more to a team than just carrying a backpack of items. I have played with alot of close minded people especially on streams because they dont want to see out the norm, expand their mind and break out of their comfort zone. First and formost it is skill that wins, secondly I would say that they are different kinds of tanks ( yes I have categorized different catagories of theoretical hero builds). Any hero can play any role and thats dependent on the person skill and deep knowledge about VG. Think of the Team as a triangle since it is a 3 hero team. An analytical person will exploit weaknesses of that enemy team. Technically speaking, generally you go after the lane carry, then jungle carry and finally the support carry because of the threat level. Assume in an unorthodox situation where both teams are competent and all can deal damage. Which strategy would you use.... How can you divide a team to exploit a lone enemy to defeat thus making the match favorable and into a 3 vs 2? So many situations based on scenarios and dependent upon your experiences. This is just based on perspective and I have read quite alot from other forums. Sometimes playing support we feel as though that our damage dealer is not competent enough to play the role exceptionally so we passionately do it to keep the team able to have a fighting chance. So much I can say but its not needed. Below are some builds I got comfortable with however keep in mind no one build will work for all roles...I am aware of the constructive criticism and ignorant comments and I will be waiting for it. Perspective is a double edge sword...Are you open to adapt on the halcyon fold.....And yes I understand contract but think about it, why has it went through some changes recently and made a must have for support items....Also why will a carry focus on damage and not a bit of protection and expect the support to be their shield.... Situationally speaking start analyzing and studying scenarios...

Respectfully,

EXXCLUSIVE
MY IGN - EXXCLUSIVE

GUILD: SENTINEL DRAGONS
TEAM: SENTINEL DRAGONS DYNASTY RED

RANK - Doesn't matter when it is Skill that counts

EXXCLUSIVE
Notable (14)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Halcius » December 6, 2015 1:13pm | Report

What I didn't agree with was building just tanky/ utility items. Yes those are great but I have seen teams steam rolled because a roam wasn't able to do damage. Take out both the lane and jungle players and you are left with a weak hero with a lot of health.

Looking at your Catherine build you only built one defensive item.

With Adran I usually build a breaking point because of the extra health you have is going to keep you in the fight longer. So the build up to the extra damage is dangerous.

Any kind of attackspeed items, BP on Ardan most common, used to be extremely situational. With the new SGB it is now favorable more often than not, even on Catherine.
I like it's effect for off-meta team comps, if you're in SoloQ and get no Support orientated hero for your team, take up that SGB if your Hero has the fastest basic attack rate. Blackfeather, and Vox work really well with SGB, their abilities allows them to burst out massive damage with it. Even SAW is nice with SGB.
The new SGB really hurt Phinn in this patch though, with his slow attackspeed and lacking the ability to stick to his prey, he is unable to unload damage like the other supports

Halcius
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by SexyMonkeyKing » December 11, 2015 3:26pm | Report
Halcius wrote:

Any kind of attackspeed items, BP on Ardan most common, used to be extremely situational. With the new SGB it is now favorable more often than not, even on Catherine.
I like it's effect for off-meta team comps, if you're in SoloQ and get no Support orientated hero for your team, take up that SGB if your Hero has the fastest basic attack rate. Blackfeather, and Vox work really well with SGB, their abilities allows them to burst out massive damage with it. Even SAW is nice with SGB.
The new SGB really hurt Phinn in this patch though, with his slow attackspeed and lacking the ability to stick to his prey, he is unable to unload damage like the other supports

He still has a Crazy A so it doesn't really hurt him that much. Crystal bit and watch half health disappear.
IGN: SexyMonkeyKing
Region: NA
Main: Usually any Support
Great Karma
Karma Lvl: 20

SexyMonkeyKing
Notable (12)
Quote | PM | +Rep by nerdatron » December 15, 2015 12:12pm | Report
mdmaction wrote:

never buy aegis and jacket as support x.x

Not necessarily true with Phinn because of his B, but yeah this is true for the most part.

I don't think the roamer has to always go full tank, as long as they are focused on team/support items. If they don't at least build a fountain, and establish/maintain vision, then they aren't a support in my book( and I really really won't like them as a teammate ). They should also be focused on counterbuilding enemies (ie buying an atlas vs krul/saw). Other than that i think they should build what they'd like / what works best for them.

nerdatron
Quote | PM | +Rep by robbieg » December 20, 2015 10:52am | Report
yeh i noticed this problem and it is quite annoying. I think the term'roam' implies something different to 'support' (which half decent players know roam is). My girlfriend recently started playing and I noticed she would put roam regardless of hero because she thought it meant 'I can go wherever I please.' I think it should be worded better or explained perhaps what a support role is as it makes a massive difference. For instance I played a support cath recently against a taka/koshka/ringo. i didnt want to play cath but u know how it is when u get instalocking selfish ppl sometimes its better to take the high road and be a team guy. I built just straight up tankiness...renewal/atlas (for ringo and takas triggers) and a crucible for koshkas stun and a contraption. Long story short - I mined the whole map so taka couldnt do his disappearing act on us and pretty much negated most of his threat. Our Kes went a high damage WP with absolutely no defensive items and everytime they tried to get near her I jus bodyblocked her while she kited them or invised away causing major damage to them (they were trying to focus her but couldnt) and even though she ended the game with 16 kills and I had something like 3...I had 21 assists and if I had been a selfish guy who just chose whoever I wanted to play we would have lost because their team were good players, they were just negated in teamfights by my items and the fact they had no support whereas we did. My point is it might not be the most glamorous job but someone has to do it and it can be rewarding...and for those trying to progress in ranked - if you have two instalocks on a laner and a jungler its better to go support (assuming your team knows how to use their support or it can be pointless) and you have a better chance of winning. And as to the above question against WP glaive/CP ringo/Cath would usually build contract into stormguard banneer then contraption for vision...renewal for teamfights (taking the path thru kinetic shielding due to the cp ringo/cath...then would build a crucible to negate catherines stun and silence again for teamfights and would tank up armour wise for glaive (if he went weapon speed or even if not would prob go atlas) depending on the situation i mite go warhorn instead of contraption. Oh yeh and boots, possibly shiversteel depends...wouldnt build a single offensive item anyway unless my team wasnt usin me as a support correctly. Support is a very misunderstood and neglected role in this game and I think heroes that play support roles should be marked as such and I think they should do away with roam.

robbieg
Quote | PM | +Rep by ShabbaRanks » December 24, 2015 10:55pm | Report
EXXCLUSIVE wrote:

I would like to say that some of us who are hardcore support players feel as though we can contribute more to a team than just carrying a backpack of items. I have played with alot of close minded people especially on streams because they dont want to see out the norm, expand their mind and break out of their comfort zone. First and formost it is skill that wins, secondly I would say that they are different kinds of tanks ( yes I have categorized different catagories of theoretical hero builds). Any hero can play any role and thats dependent on the person skill and deep knowledge about VG. Think of the Team as a triangle since it is a 3 hero team. An analytical person will exploit weaknesses of that enemy team. Technically speaking, generally you go after the lane carry, then jungle carry and finally the support carry because of the threat level. Assume in an unorthodox situation where both teams are competent and all can deal damage. Which strategy would you use.... How can you divide a team to exploit a lone enemy to defeat thus making the match favorable and into a 3 vs 2? So many situations based on scenarios and dependent upon your experiences. This is just based on perspective and I have read quite alot from other forums. Sometimes playing support we feel as though that our damage dealer is not competent enough to play the role exceptionally so we passionately do it to keep the team able to have a fighting chance. So much I can say but its not needed. Below are some builds I got comfortable with however keep in mind no one build will work for all roles...I am aware of the constructive criticism and ignorant comments and I will be waiting for it. Perspective is a double edge sword...Are you open to adapt on the halcyon fold.....And yes I understand contract but think about it, why has it went through some changes recently and made a must have for support items....Also why will a carry focus on damage and not a bit of protection and expect the support to be their shield.... Situationally speaking start analyzing and studying scenarios...

Respectfully,

EXXCLUSIVE

/endthread
I love this. This should be posted on the VG homepage lol

ShabbaRanks
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by uncrudable » December 25, 2015 1:04am | Report
"Think of vain glory teams as a triangle".………………… I can't hold it sorry………. Illuminati Confirmed / . \

uncrudable
Remarkable (25)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved