Vainglory Forums

Jargon Buster?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by drsarf » December 29, 2014 2:45pm | Report
Hi Guys
Really enjoying the game - Karma9 and generally play with Krul, though just starting to learn Petal as I fancy a range Hero for a change.

I frequent VGF quite often and really find the Hero guides to be incredibly useful. However, I was wondering if there is a jargon buster online anywhere? I've searched but can't find one. Some of the terms I'm familiar with but others I'm unclear on and I'm sure newbies would benefit.

Things like

Critical Chance
Critical Strike
Crystal power (think this is abilities?)
Life/weapon steal

Thanks

drsarf
Quote | PM | +Rep by Zaffre » December 29, 2014 4:33pm | Report
I'll only explain the basic since I don't think you need the complicated computations. If so, then just ask me and I will link you to a useful computation.

1.) Critical Strike - Simply put, it's a basic attack which deals more damage (150% of your basic attack damage). However, some items can increase Critical Strike damage like "Lucky Strike" and "Tyrant's Monocle"

2.) Critical Chance - This refers to how often you do "critical strikes" in a basic attack. For some heroes, there's a small chance of doing a "critical strike" when they do a basic attack. Levelling up skills for some heroes and equipping items will raise critical chance.
(See Glaive's skills, Taka's Passive, and Ringo's passive for examples.)

2.1.) Passive Skill - Every hero has a skill which you automatically have and which cannot be levelled up. This is the 4th "hidden" skill as you do not see it in the skills which can be activate. Since they cannot be "activated" by tapping on them, they are called "Passive" skills because they are ALWAYS in effect. You can read the hero descriptions in game for their passive skills.

3.) Crystal Power - There are 3 kinds of damage.

a.) Weapon damage - Basic attacks. Items that increase weapon damage increases your damage output from basic attacks.

b.) Crystal damage - Skills. Increasing crystal damage with weapons adds on to the damage of your skill. So let's say your skill says it will deal 320 damage. If you equip and item which increases Crystal Damage, it will MORE than 320.

However, there are some skills which are treated as basic attacks although they are abilities (example: Catherine's Merciless Pursuit)

c.) True Damage - Type of damage which ignores armor and shield. Some skills deal true damage. Towers and Kraken also deal true damage.

3.1) Armor - Decreases the damage you take from basic attacks.
3.2) Shield - Decreases the damage you take from skills.

4.) Life Steal - This is the same as weapon steal. If you equip weapons which grant life steal, then your basic attacks will heal you as you hit enemies. How much you heal per basic attack depends on the life steal rate indicated in the weapon.

Hope you found this helpful! +rep if you want to thank me! :)
IGN: Zaffre
Region: Southeast Asia (SEA)
Main: Catherine, Ringo
Skill tier: Pretty Good
Karma level: 11

Zaffre
Notable (12)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Zaffre » December 29, 2014 4:54pm | Report
This might also help. +rep wolf_hands to thank him! :D

wolf_hands wrote:

That link looks like a ton of reading. Here's a bit quicker explanation:

1 & 2) Shield and armor should reduce damage from abilities and basic attacks, respectively, on a 1:1 ratio. To do the math you add up your hero's base armor or shield, plus any bonuses. Do the same for the attack (base attack plus any bonuses), and then find the difference between the two.

3 & 4) Should be on a per second basis. Lifespring, for instance, should give 13 health per second.

5) Just like the rest of the math, this is just as simple. Armor and shield pierce (as found on Tension Bow and Broken Myth) do exactly what you would think. It ignores a % of the enemy hero's armor/shield. Enemy has 100 armor, Tension Bow will take off 15 points; 200 armor means 30 will be ignored.

6) Haven't looked into this too much so I can't say how crit damage works, but it's obviously more than normal :P As for crit chance, there has to be some starting amount, but there's no documentation that I've come across. Based off the fact that only weapon power items give extra crit chance/damage, crits may only be possible by basic attacks. So heros like Taka, Ringo, and Glaive will benefit from Tyrant's Monocle.

7) Using a build that might seem counter-intuitive to how a hero is normally played can give you an advantage over opponents who do not check the score board to see how enemies are building. Other than that, it comes down to preference, sometimes the added effect from one item might outway the fact that it's not in line with the rest of your build. Petal players often times grab a Frostburn and then go straight weapon power. Or it could even be you're playing novice players who haven't spent the time to learn their hero :P

Zaffre
Notable (12)
Quote | PM | +Rep by drsarf » December 30, 2014 10:21am | Report
Zaffre - many thanks. Helpful posts, rep given.

drsarf
Quote | PM | +Rep by Zaffre » December 30, 2014 8:57pm | Report
Okay I so I made this...
http://www.vaingloryfire.com/vainglory/guide/dictionary-for-beginners-terms-you-need-to-know-2082

Hahaha enjoy!

Zaffre
Notable (12)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved