Vainglory Forums

Math for defensive counter builds

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by FirsTimer » March 20, 2015 8:13am | Report
Could someone explain the math about how it's worth buying defense items with shield / armor?

I mean: why is it worth, for example, to counter a weapon build with a Metal Jacket, instead of focusing on building more DPS for yourself?

Some variables that seem worth looking at:
  • Item price (bang for the buck). Significance of the price decreases towards end game until you have enough gold to buy whatever you want.
  • DPS for building more attack power / speed / etc.
  • Decrease of enemy DPS from buying each defensive item.

Considering some example cases would probable be eye-opening.

Sorry, I could probably get it right myself, but am lazy.. I would need to understand the basic calculations first, as explained in the Game Mechanics thread..

FirsTimer
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bootylicious » March 21, 2015 3:30pm | Report
I'm just gonna provide you with the formulas & a situation to help it make some sense.

Basic attack damage= (weapon damage+weapon power)/(1+armor/100)

Ability damage= (Base power+ modifiers)/(1+shield/100)

Okay, so say you have 2 ringo's with 100 weapon damage and 150 weapon power from a sorrow blade. Say they have 70 armor each.

Base damage= (100+150)/(1.7)= 147. They would each deal 147 damage to each other.

Alright, so 1 adds a metal jacket (155 armor) & another adds another sorrow blade.

Metal jacket Ringo deals 147 basic attack damage, like before.

Sorrow blade ringo basic attack damage= (100+300)/(1+225/100)=123 basic attack damage.

As you can see, the ringo with the metal jacket obviously wins the fight, even though the sorrowblade packs a huge punch & is way more expensive. This situation would apply to abikity damage in the same respect.

Moral of the story: excessive DPS or ability damage may not always win the fight. Generally I recommend (if you're an offensive based character) getting a defensive item after your first two offensive items. If you see the enemy team clearly building mostly WP or CP damage, it might be smart to start building defense early game to seriously limit their damage output.
Skill tier- usually floating around in simply amazing
Server- NA
I can play any position. Add me for a match!

Bootylicious
Notable (18)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bootylicious » March 21, 2015 3:32pm | Report
There's also formulas for shred & pierce damage but I'm not gonna get into those cause... Idk, I've done too much math in one day.

Here's the link to everything you could possibly need to know. Check it out!!

http://www.vaingloryfire.com/vainglory/guide/complete-guide-to-vainglorys-hidden-stats-and-calculations-by-an-engineer-4311
Skill tier- usually floating around in simply amazing
Server- NA
I can play any position. Add me for a match!

Bootylicious
Notable (18)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved