Vainglory Forums

Order to buy

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Icecarver » January 26, 2015 5:44pm | Report
I'm pretty new to the game and am not familiar with MOBAs. I usually jungle and if we have a strong Laner we win. If not, I can't carry the team.

One issue I have is not knowing how to purchase items. When I see a build guide I don't know if I should buy several Tier 1 items and upgrade them or try to get 1 Tier 3 item and then move to my next item.

What's the theory on this?

Thanks!

Icecarver
Quote | PM | +Rep by jttm » January 27, 2015 7:22pm | Report
@Icecarver
I'm also new to MOBAs although I am familiar with the mechanics and have played a lot of Vainglory.

There is no "theory," because all builds work differently but I can provide my advice.

Tier 1 items are generally not cost-effective, while Tier 3 items are even less cost-effective, and Tier 2 items are the most cost-effective. In general, don't buy many Tier 1 items, quickly branch into a couple Tier 2s, and then get your first Tier 3 item from those of the Tier 2 items. IF you focus on a Tier 3 item, you may get minimal bonuses for your cash.

Items that have no passive/active and give flat boosts to stats (additive, not multiplying) such as Sorrowblade or Shatterglass, and Aegis (mostly shield) or Metal Jacket (mostly armor) are not cost-effective to complete/finish until the late game. Since the Shatterglass and Sorrowblade build from 2 items, it is better to keep these and upgrade them later after other items.

For other items that provide minimal stats besides a certain stat- Clockwork (mostly cooldown accel), Tornado Trigger (mostly att spd), you can upgrade later if it is not crucial to your build.

Then there are what I call luxury items- they cost a lot, their Tier 2s are not appealing, and they aren't that great until the end game. Aftershock is a prime example.

There are certain Tier 3 items that you will want to rush and save up for instead of spending on Tier 2s. For example, Tension Bow is mainly an early to mid game item and is cheap so that you can abuse its high burst potential early on.

Defensive items besides the flat stat boosters are very strong in this game- Atlas Pauldron, and esp. Fountain of Renewal (slightly OP). These you want to finish to Tier 3 when building.

Ceratin builds require that you maintain a single Tier 2 item (they are very cost-effective) until late game because you do not need it's Tier 3 bonuses. Void Battery (just for the energy) and Blazing Salvo (just for AS, common on Krul) are good examples.

All in all, depends on build, and hero playstyle. TO summarize: Tier 2s are the best, some Tier 3s are cheap and are for rushing (Tension Bow), defensive T3 items like Fountain of Renewal are for rushing, expensive and flat stat items are for upgrading last(Sorrowblade).

jttm
Notable (11)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved