Vainglory Forums

Advice for inexperienced laner?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by damian618 » January 7, 2016 7:42am | Report
Hi new to vaingloryfire:)

I rarely use laner as I'm more comfortable being jungle or roam. My main heroes are Fortress and Koshka. I've been dealing with a lot of instalocks lately and so I decided to hit the lane. I'm currently trying out ringo (it's an easy hero, so they said), but I always end up with a kill/death ratio that's worse than when I'm playing as Fortress. I just don't know how to carry...

So...any advice?

damian618
Quote | PM | +Rep by shagalicious » January 7, 2016 7:52am | Report
Put scout traps in nearby bushes, attack enemy minions from an upwards angle to avoid easy enemy ganks, when enemy laner extends, put a ping on them to tell the jungler to gank. Avoid going past the centre point in the map without team backup. Poke enemy laner (Achilles shot) to avoid them pushing too far and to act as a confrontation deterrent. Try to always get last hit so you can over power enemy laner with better items. Trust your instincts, if you feel a gank coming, fall back. Ensure turret is in no imminent danger when you go back to base to shop by pushing slightly just before...

Hope this helps.

shagalicious
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by PolaDaBear » January 7, 2016 11:05am | Report
Another thing to keep in mind is to focus on farming early game. (DUH! lol) What I mean though is to not feel that you need to push turret every time you get a minion wave cleared and your minions are on their way to the enemy turret. Often if the enemy laner is gone they ran to the jungle shop or are baiting you into a gank. Let your minions take a few hits at the turret and sit back. Be opportunistic about turret shots, not overambitious. Taking a turret is a major objective and can give you the upper hand, but as Shagalicious noted above, farming and last hitting is key. If you take the turret early but your CS is for ****, than you might cruise early game but get crippled mid to late.

Also I can't stress it enough and I struggle with it a lot, but positioning as a laner (especially a sniper) is crucial to success, especially as you climb the skill tiers. Often as a jungler (especially if you like melee heroes like Koshka or even roam Fortress) you are closing the gap and are in the enemies faces constantly, because that's what you do. As Ringo you are often squishy and honestly with your range, you don't need to be in the enemies faces. You can poke safely from the "backline." A good roamer will engage and in a way block you from AOE damage and play frontline. It's important as a ranged lane carry that you position yourself in the backline (i.e. try to keep your roamer in front of you between yourself and the enemy carries at all times.) That way your roamer in the frontline can soak up some damage and you can sustain and carry longer in the team fights.

I main in jungle but have been playing Ringo a lot in both lane and jungle. I used to heavily main Glaive and when I was learning Ringo I constantly would get caught in the middle of a team fight taking huge hits from melee and AOE damage from people like Celeste. Once I became more conscious of where I was in fights, I saw my KD ratio improve.

Ringo is super fun to play with, especially once you get the hang of stutter stepping.

Hope that helps, good luck in the Fold! :)

PolaDaBear
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by damian618 » January 7, 2016 7:54pm | Report
Great advice!
Thanks a lot :D

damian618
Quote | PM | +Rep by Maedyon » January 13, 2016 1:48am | Report
What helped me during me first laner jobs, was just playing safe. Observe some laners, try out their builds, and then, when you play, first focus on your minions. If that means tower hugging against a very aggresive enemy laner, so be it. Once you are confident at last-hitting, you can poke your enemy laner a bit.

The best time to do this is when one of his minions is nearly dead - so he has to decide: kill minion and take damage, or dodge damage and lose gold. But don't do this until your confident about your position, else you end up losing your own minions.

Also, when you start poking him enough, watch his potion use. You know he has two (unless he left the lane at some point), so you have an indicator how much time he can spend in his lane before having to return to base/jungle store. When he does leave, ping your teammates that he's gone, so they will either gank him in the jungle, or help you push your lane.
(But be aware, once he's gone, his teammates will surely be waiting in the bushes, so dont go in on your own without proper backup)

Maedyon

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved