Vainglory Forums

Balanced teammates

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by turntechGnostic » May 21, 2015 7:32pm | Report
First of all, let me say, I love this game. I love the fact that they have a moba on the iPad. The thing I don't like is huge fact how if I'm playing, and I'm on a winning streak, I'll always after that get paired with people who seem to never have played the game before. Even after a couple of games. I shouldn't be the only one trying to communicate with people. It should be that as you win more games, you should be paired with people at your skill level. This is honestly the only part of this game that I hate.

turntechGnostic
Quote | PM | +Rep by nporaMep » May 21, 2015 8:06pm | Report
I had win streaks of about 30 games.
So there is something wrong with your perception. Maybe gambler's issues.

nporaMep
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by SavageMoor » May 22, 2015 5:35am | Report
I hope I'm not feeding the troll by responding ... but trolls will be trolls ...

I don't think it's perception at all. There has been massive discussion on the ranking system. Please google "elo ranking system" for the wikipedia article that explains the equations. In summary, you are assigned a score named after the equation's inventor, ELO. If you defeat someone with equal or lower ELO (a lesser skilled player), you don't get many points. So you can have 100 matches with equal or lower opponents, and your score won't increase much (if at all).

However, if you win against an opponent with a higher ELO (a more skilled player), you will "take" some of his ELO. The bigger the gap, the more points you are rewarded (for a win) or subtracted (for a loss).

Here's the trick: the matchmaking system does not count your individual ELO, instead, it counts the average ELO of your team vs. the average ELO of the enemy team. That means if the enemy team has one "Pinnacle of Awesome" and two "Not-Bads", the enemy team average ELO may be "Pretty Good". Then you're screwed, because the PoA player will carry and dominate the game.

In summary, you can play 30 games, win every one, and not advance skill tiers if you were matched evenly against enemy teams. Conversely, you can play a single game against a highly skilled team, and if you win, jettison your ELO instantly. Even worse, a single loss to a unskilled team will pummel your ELO, and you're back in "Decent-ish" after a single loss. The ranking screen doesn't update until 5 games, so you may not see the result immediately. This has happened to me during a laggy day. Several players were lagging badly and I had to reboot the game twice (pings in the 60000ms category) and my team lost to a bunch of lamers. Boom. Decent-ish. One game did it.

SavageMoor
Quote | PM | +Rep by Gabsxn » May 22, 2015 7:43am | Report
SavageMoor wrote:

I hope I'm not feeding the troll by responding ... but trolls will be trolls ...

I don't think it's perception at all. There has been massive discussion on the ranking system. Please google "elo ranking system" for the wikipedia article that explains the equations. In summary, you are assigned a score named after the equation's inventor, ELO. If you defeat someone with equal or lower ELO (a lesser skilled player), you don't get many points. So you can have 100 matches with equal or lower opponents, and your score won't increase much (if at all).

However, if you win against an opponent with a higher ELO (a more skilled player), you will "take" some of his ELO. The bigger the gap, the more points you are rewarded (for a win) or subtracted (for a loss).

Here's the trick: the matchmaking system does not count your individual ELO, instead, it counts the average ELO of your team vs. the average ELO of the enemy team. That means if the enemy team has one "Pinnacle of Awesome" and two "Not-Bads", the enemy team average ELO may be "Pretty Good". Then you're screwed, because the PoA player will carry and dominate the game.

In summary, you can play 30 games, win every one, and not advance skill tiers if you were matched evenly against enemy teams. Conversely, you can play a single game against a highly skilled team, and if you win, jettison your ELO instantly. Even worse, a single loss to a unskilled team will pummel your ELO, and you're back in "Decent-ish" after a single loss. The ranking screen doesn't update until 5 games, so you may not see the result immediately. This has happened to me during a laggy day. Several players were lagging badly and I had to reboot the game twice (pings in the 60000ms category) and my team lost to a bunch of lamers. Boom. Decent-ish. One game did it.

the point is that the matchmaking sucks right?
IGN: Gabsxn
Region: South America
Skill Tier: Pretty Good/ Hotness
Main: Takka on Jungle, Ringo on Lane
Decent: Glaive on Jungle, Skaarf/Petal on Lane

Gabsxn
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by nporaMep » May 22, 2015 7:01pm | Report
Thanks for explaining, though what you described is close to not true.

Whenever I won 30 games in a row I advanced at least 2 tiers up (6 subtiers in totals).

About matchmaking:
1) on my VG account I had about 200 games and worst case was Simply Amazing Gold guys happened to be in a match. In prime time it is always several VG players and PoA guys.
2) on my noobish accounts I do add anyone who send me friend request to see their tier.
So in average - while I was Pretty good everyone who added me were Pretty Good and Hotness/Tier 5.
while I was in Hotness - at bronze everyone was Hotness/PG, at gold more SA/PG. I had 1 match vs PoA bronze player, it didn't crash the whole system.
while I was in SA - everyone is SA with rare players from PoA or Hotness.
I saw no VG players as I know all of them by names, so I can tell it for sure.

Also notice about time when I play. I play on EU at 14-18 CET and 2-6 CET, so it is not quite a prime time. Biggest discrepancies in skill tiers between players happens in 2-6 CET time and happens usually on my VG account (still enemies are at least SA). On Tier 4-7 it is always working because there are far more players.

nporaMep
Notable (1)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved