Vainglory Forums

I need advice on # of deaths, and farming...

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Simaril » December 3, 2014 7:58am | Report
I just started playing 2 days ago, I'm new to the genre, though I've played some RTS games, and many MMOs. I'm generally more of a PvE player and NOT a fast twitch PvP'r, but I was drawn to the simplicity of this game. I'm new enough that I'd like to keep the advice general to all characters, before I worry about character specifics...

I have 13 wins. Almost half the time I have the most deaths on my team, and half those times I have the most deaths of all six players. I usually have a lot of assists, but not many kills. I'm generally satisfied if my kills + assists > deaths. Should I try to escape sooner? Should I avoid attacking unless I'm certain I can win? Are kills and assists more important than deaths? I do have games where I lead in kills and have the fewest deaths, but that's less common.

I often have very low gold earned compared to the other 5 players. I realize I should focus on either farming the lane or the jungle, and the last hitgets the gold - I'm just not doing enough of it... Should I go out of my way to farm, and just forget about PvP? Should I get ironguard?

Simaril
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by dream21 » December 3, 2014 9:43am | Report
First off, welcome to the game! GLad you decided to give it a try! I suggest you check out this guide that I had used myself for basic strategy. http://www.vaingloryfire.com/vainglory/guide/how-to-carry-your-team-and-general-guides-by-yuhinz-274
It's rather useful! And for Farming and Laning that depends on who you're using. Who is it you're using? I understand you want general advice, but certain characters call for different actions.
IGN: dream21
Region: NA

dream21
<Editor>
Notable (6)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Simaril » December 4, 2014 6:19am | Report
Thanks for linking me to the guide.

I've played Ringo and Glaive the most. I did okay with Ringo in the lane, but because he's so squishy, there's no room for error. At the time Petal was one of the free characters and kept out ranging me, so I switched to Glaive... I use forums like this one and follow top rated builds.

As Glaive I got rediculously owned by an enemy Glaive and after the match I realized the other Glaive had farmed twice as much gold as me. So now I've been taking ironguard contract first, and farming the Jungle. After ironguard I follow the highest rated buidl guide.

Last night I played two games as Glaive. The first one I had something like 2 kills, 8 deaths, and 4 assists - we lost. The second game I had 10 kills, 2 deaths, 4 assists - we won. The first game I was the worst or second worst of the 6 players, the second game I was the best. I'm not sure whether I'm inconsistent, or my opponents are.

Simaril
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by dream21 » December 4, 2014 3:05pm | Report
Petal can actually be easy to kill with Ringo, depending on his build, and making sure you time your ultimate right, but it's best to take her on with another teammate. Glaive is a strong hero, but without a strong build, he doesn't work well.

Glaive VS. Glaive, like with all heroes, the victor depends on who's build is better. The irongaurd is a good idea, and sometimes it's a good idea to look at other guides, too. Try and find one you think suites your play style best! I've done that, I found a guide I used just didn't work well enough for me or my preferred type of play style. Also, when going against an opposing team with your same hero, always check their build! You need to know if you have the better build to take them on.

I'd say it's all based on Enemies, and team work. Take time to notice how your teammates are helping you, specially since you are a big damage dealer as Glaive, the opposing team might be targeting you first, besides, don't beat yourself up for being the worst, sometimes that's just bad luck. Plus your allies maybe aren't the best, or you guys are just simply over powered. That's the risk with solo queue, you could just be teamed up with bad players, or good players, but an overpowering opponent(s).
IGN: dream21
Region: NA

dream21
<Editor>
Notable (6)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Simaril » December 5, 2014 5:32am | Report
I've played a few more games, and they've just varied wildly. When the opposing team had a Krul player who was the higest level, most kills and fewest deaths.... and also happens to counter my Glaive quite well - it was a complete train wreck.

Against a poor Saw, Kashka, Adagio team I had 10 kills and 0 deaths when we started on the crystal vain.

There are certain natural counters, and then there are the heros that I'm personally just good or bad against. It seems like a lot of what I'm experiencing is the rock / paper / scissors nature of the game combined with player skill levels...

It seems like having a rigid, set plan can either work perfectly or blow up in your face, so adapting has been key.

Simaril
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by bluedevilboy76 » December 8, 2014 9:50pm | Report
something that's helped with my own learning of the game has been getting a good grasp of basic strategies and trying to stick to tactics that help the team. every once in a while you get teamed with players who are only concerned about farming and lose sight of the big picture. that sucks.

keep in mind that an important part of the game is resource management (not in the RTS sense, but more in the sense of how/when to take minions, mines, gold, move from jungle to lane, etc.).

last of all: enjoy! it's a game. if it starts feeling too much like work, we're doing it wrong.

bluedevilboy76

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved