Vainglory Forums

Is Roam Fortress stiill viable?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Lycaon » October 9, 2016 12:33am | Report
Ever since that update (I forgot which one) I feel like fortress is under-powered. I understood that he was OP, getting 12 kills as a Roamer with a single aftershock as an attack item and utility for the rest. Now, however, I feel like Roam Fortress is no longer viable. I have only seen a single Fortress being played in the past 3 months (not counting br). He was a high elo player, but still got shredded like paper, even though he went pure roam.

I have tried playing him twice in the past week on standard play, and I can't see how he is viable as a roam any longer. I feel like they nerfed him down to avoid him shredding as a semi-carry / full carry warrior, but he ended up losing his viability as a roam.

Can u guys give your opinions? i really want to understand if it is really just me, or if Fortress has become weaker

Lycaon
Quote | PM | +Rep by BLG3RNT » October 9, 2016 12:16pm | Report
Fortress is a unique roamer, and pretty situational. He works better from a draft perspective than a blind selection. Fortress' strength is chaos, so you want to pick him along side melee teammates, so you can dive in, trigger Attack of the Pack so there is just way too much going on for the opposing team. Many times the wolves will cause a retreat from the other team, or they will focus on the wolves allowing your team to focus them down.

He works best against Taka, Kestrel, Reim, Rona, and Krul. Attack of the Pack can function as a flare against Taka and Kestrel, keeping track of their movements when they go invisible. The bleeding applied from Attack of the Pack and Law of the claw help to counter the sustain/fortification of Rona, Reim, and Krul.

But to use him best you want there to be melee fights, so if the other team's carrys are ranged, or your team is ranged, Fortress doesn't excell as a roamer if he is the only melee character on your team, because he can't create the chaos.

One mistake that I see too many fortress players make is using Attack of the Pack simply to reveal the other opponents. Attack of the Pack should be used very very situationally with this method. If your wolves have to run across the entire map just to show you where everyone is at you're wasting it. First the wolves only last a limited amount of time, so if they have run across the entire map there's a good chance they die before dealing any damage. Second if you aren't engaged in a fight you are totally wasting the health fortification and greater attack speed from Attack of the Pack. The cooldown is far to lengthy to waste the ability.

Also too many characters use Truth of the Tooth as nothing more than an attack without taking into consideration the other effects of the ability. This ability can function as a mini War Treads, and grants movement speeds to your teammates. So it can be used to engage, chase down a fleeing enemy, or to help a teammate escape, but because too many players think of it as just an attack it's usually wasted right away and not available at the opportune time.

Roam Fortress is still viable in the right situations, but using him as a roam is very different from your traditional roamer, and learning the timing of when to trigger his abilities can be challenging. Changing your mindset away from his abilities as attacks, and using them in the right situations can also be challenging.
IGN: BLG3RNT
Region: NA
Coach for Nova Esports
Imma Roam Main

BLG3RNT
<Editor>
Remarkable (44)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Lycaon » October 12, 2016 7:51am | Report
Well, now that you mentioned it, my main team generally doesn't attack with a chaotic style. Mostly because both of them are expert laners and, despite their jungling skills being ok, don't really like to jump into the fray.

I do, actually, enjoy using Fortress' TotT as a walljumping ability or marking a minion to give my teammates that burst of speed when escaping, mostly in jungle.

One thing I like to do as a Fortress (CP / Semi-carry) is to actually feint into a bush, trigger AotP and launch myself at the hard-carry. For some reason my mates have never gotten used to this form of attack. Also, when I am desperate, I use AotP to save myself with the fortified health.

I just feel like is now much more like a bruiser/initiator than a roamer, in terms of definition. To prove my point on his squishiness, Snow Avalanche's jungler tried to use the Stormshock build, which ended in disaster, apparently.

Lycaon

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved