Vainglory Forums

Do's and don't's of ROLE/HERO lock in.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by KuntFu » October 29, 2015 6:18am | Report
Just want to say this especially to new players.

So, you may want to lock in your favourite hero before someone else, that's cool, as lots of heroes can be played in lots of ways, and I've seen pros play surprisingly well with two "support" roles or three snipers. W.e. But if you can use a few character of varying abilities, wait. Because the next guy may not. And you might lock in at the same time, living the rid to play something he can't. It's always better to leave your hero greyed out and pick your role so people know what hero and role you want to play, and change it if needed.

More (arguably) importantly, roles...

I can't stand when people lock in as a role that someone else already picked. It's confusing and it leads to early game disaster and more then likely a waste of time (as well as a loss)

I just played a game where someone locked in a lane Celeste ASAP, so I changed mine from JUNGLE JOULE to ROAM CATHERINE back and forth to show the third guy I can play either depending on him. After 9-10 seconds it was evident he was waiting for me to choose, as he was (not role though) changing through his selection of heroes. After locking in jungle joule, two seconds later he locks in jungle krul. The hell?? What's that even supposed to mean? I like to start walking out of e base ASAP so I don't want to have to wait around to see what my team gets to grab an irongaurd or not. After noticing he didn't have one, nor did he ping to jungle rush, just waiting around for minion farming, I realized that game was a waste of time. Thanks a lot dude!

For efficient teamwork, always make sure you find some way to communicate your aims, or else you will just cause confusion.

I always ping to say I'm going to these minions first, let's rush, I'm going up to lane to gank, I'm going to buy or heal, watch lane (if I'm laner) etc etc.

Cmon guys...jeez..
:)

KuntFu
Quote | PM | +Rep by Aicfan71189 » October 29, 2015 8:46am | Report
I'd have to agree with you completely. For example: I had a game earlier, guys were taking forever to choose, so I locked in my Death Metal Krul and picked Jungle. My friend picked Ringo Lane. Waited and waited, and the third person picked Joule and didn't pick a role. Was thinking when the match started, they would choose to roam but boy was I wrong, went to the jungle, started following me around and stealing kills, and chose to go full crystal, with no iron guard, and didn't help out at all. Started switching out my build to the best roam I could. I guess it's just best to pick last if you don't know who you're playing with, because some people seem not to fully understand the mechanics of the roles.

Aicfan71189
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by TheManTheMythTheLegend » October 29, 2015 9:09am | Report
This is sadly true. Even in high tier play people fail to understand a good team composition. But what really grinds my gears is when, in game, people don't have a clue what they're doing. I played as Skaarf once and our Catherine just stood in the lane bush next to me, stole last hits, and repeatedly initiated terrible ganks. The number one rule is not to dual in lane. I told her to go to the jungle but she didn't respond once in the 8 minutes we were in lane together. All of the sudden, when we started losing, she spammed the question ping and blamed us for not being able to kill. I understand that these bad players are everywhere, yet I just hope that as I further climb the rank latter they will dissapear.
IGN - KillerInstincts
Skill Tier - Simply Amazing Gold *Before Compression :(*
Main - Skaarf, Joule, Catherine
Alts - Glaive, Taka
"You can't get got; you gotta go get. If you get got you can't go get, but if you go get its hard to get got."

TheManTheMythTheLegend
Notable (9)
Quote | PM | +Rep by KuntFu » October 30, 2015 8:43pm | Report
Yup, ironically its harder to climb tier when we have to deal with this. I'm back to decentish now :(
And it seems worse then I remembered being there.

This game really is a team player game.

It isn't Diablo.

You can't just kill minions and hack and slash enemies.

And when you steal gold or don't make the most of gold farming wether your support lane or jungle, you can't get mad at people when you took there farm, thus ability to buy items required to kill and win in the first place :)

KuntFu
Quote | PM | +Rep by Halcius » October 31, 2015 10:20pm | Report
Ranked SoloQ? Instalock all the way!

And I wouldn't be afraid to dual lane if a SAW unfortunately locks in despite you already having locked in lane.
Dual lane with a SAW and you should be taking the first turret halfway down before the enemies finish their first jungle cycle, forcing them into the lane with you. They have no choice, if their first turret goes down early their laner will have insufficient farm for the rest of the match as long as your team doesn't take any minion mines.

Halcius
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by TheManTheMythTheLegend » October 31, 2015 11:20pm | Report
Halcius wrote:

Ranked SoloQ? Instalock all the way!

And I wouldn't be afraid to dual lane if a SAW unfortunately locks in despite you already having locked in lane.
Dual lane with a SAW and you should be taking the first turret halfway down before the enemies finish their first jungle cycle, forcing them into the lane with you. They have no choice, if their first turret goes down early their laner will have insufficient farm for the rest of the match as long as your team doesn't take any minion mines.

You must be below pretty good if you think a laner would let two enemies harass him. The laner would just level up quickly, and the two junglers will destroy the enemy jungle. By the way, SAW is a trash player when you get to high tiers. And please, for the love of Allah, don't install lock in soloQ. Soft select your character and wait for your teammates to choose so you could make a good team composition.
IGN - KillerInstincts
Skill Tier - Simply Amazing Gold *Before Compression :(*
Main - Skaarf, Joule, Catherine
Alts - Glaive, Taka
"You can't get got; you gotta go get. If you get got you can't go get, but if you go get its hard to get got."

TheManTheMythTheLegend
Notable (9)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Halcius » November 1, 2015 12:57pm | Report
I am in PG at the moment. I've dropped from PG two times now down to Not Bad. Each of those times I tried consistently complimenting my other teams choices at hero selection. Everytime I got to PG from Decentish, I BARRELED my way through by regularly instalocking a lane carry.
It might be a poor sample size but so far from my experience, if I want to hold on or move ahead in ranks, I have to instalock a carry.

There are still rubbish players in PG and even SA and you know it. I agree SAW is garbage and the player behind SAW also tends to be a brickhead. Doesn't change the fact that he is an early game monster capable of going to work on your turret before the game is even 2 minutes in. So, what is your team going to do when I'm dual laning on Joule with a SAW partner and poked your laner enough to know he can't stick his neck out long enough to farm or defend his turret. If he even tries getting aggressive to fend us off he will get ganked once I'm Lv2. You won't have time to invade our jungle, your support will be preoccupied aiding your laner to fend us off. If you manage that, then maybe you can invade, but it won't be easy unless you got Adagio as support. Sorry, that is always how the games have played out so far, even in PG.

Anyway once an enemy picks up an AP our SAW will fall off, but at least your laner will also struggle to keep up.

Halcius
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by KuntFu » November 5, 2015 3:52am | Report
Rank is just rank. I've best plenty of players higher tier and lost to lower. Now that that's aside, yes, dual lane doesn't work, unless you playing noobs. Your farm will get stolen in jungle and you will get tanked as you try to push that turret periodically. The jungle needs two, and it requires the laner to help down there more then the junglers need to go to lane, until later.

I try not to bash any hero but saw is the easiest for me to kill, as anyone, any build. Too slow. Too predictable.

KuntFu
Quote | PM | +Rep by cC8. » November 8, 2015 10:16am | Report
in defense of the lockers, Insta-lock can mean the player only mastered (or at least doesnt get instamurdered with) one hero. i would rather have 3 laners than a good jungle and roam and one hero who cant use their abilities at all. at least we get a solid 12 mins of game time that way instead of cascading horror for 11. :p

cC8.
Notable (3)
Quote | PM | +Rep by asiankatemoss » November 8, 2015 10:40am | Report
cC8. wrote:

in defense of the lockers, Insta-lock can mean the player only mastered (or at least doesnt get instamurdered with) one hero. i would rather have 3 laners than a good jungle and roam and one hero who cant use their abilities at all. at least we get a solid 12 mins of game time that way instead of cascading horror for 11. :p

maybe but in ranked matches, a player would've purchased three heroes so they should at least be competent with them

asiankatemoss
Notable (1)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved