Vainglory Forums

I feel like roamers arent considered to strongly in drafting

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by prodigy755 » April 3, 2017 9:39pm | Report
So I'm cred threat bronze which means that I can't draft soloq which is often why I try to get in a full party so that I can take advantage of having smart allies and a draft. The only problem is that I feel like I'm doing better in soloq than I am in parties and here's why.

I have a team mate who really likes my ardan performance which I don't mind since ardan is my main. The only problem is that the past 2-3 games I have done as ardan with him we lost. Then whoever we are partied with (without fail), and sometimes my team mate sides with them, proceeds to blame me for the whole match being lost and they either play another game with me before they just rage quit or rage quit on the spot. They never even listened to me why we lost. Since my team mate prefers me as ardan, he usually always picks ardan first. My team mate always bans lyra which im okay with since lyra is an ardan counter but usually adagio isn't banned.

Adagio is a heavy ardan counter simply because he prevents ardan from diving. All adagio gets to do is blast me with flame and then either stun me or get his team to attack me. Then my team mates get mad at me for either not preventing the stun even though im trying my hardest to save crucible for the skaarf when he attempts an ult, or they get mad at me for wasting my crucible on myself!

It's just really frustrating and even disappointing when team mates fail to understand that the carry and jungle arent the only ones who have to worry about being countered or targeted. I have lost the last 2-3 draft games I have been in because my allies failed to understand that ardan can be countered by adagio. I have been thrown in other situations where my allies basically hated on me for losing even though I was countered, forced to make a retreat and leave them behind when they were obviously dying, or even if i just failed to actually hit a WP skye with an atlas (If you think its easy without a stun or root try doing it yourself XD)!

Sorry if I'm ranting but this is just my way to get this off my chest and hopefully get someone to understand what I'm saying here.
IGN: Prodigy955
Server: NA
Role: Roam
Main: Ardan

Improvement comes from learning from your mistakes and fixing them, not just pointing them out.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
prodigy755
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Blissey123 » April 3, 2017 11:24pm | Report
I think I know what you mean. I also got Ardan in a Mystery Chest and when I play him against Adagio, it's so frustrating, so I lose all the time. A frustrating thing when I play roam Lyra, All the scout traps I placed were exploded and my teammates blame me for not having enough vision. Also, they question mark me when I steal their kills by accident. Adagio is super annoying last update, even now, because he had/has the longest range in the game, beating Lyra, which didn't help at all when its a Roam Lyra vs Adagio.

;-;
IGN: Blissey123
Hero mains: Lyra, Catherine, Koshka, Idris, Celeste, Kestrel, Flicker,Celeste
Heroes that I am good at but I don't have: Joule
Practicing: Kestrel, Celeste, Vox, Idris
Tier: Worthy Foe Silver
Best Heroes: Lyra, Catherine, Idris, Kestrel, Koshka, Vox, Celeste

Blissey123
Notable (17)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Radiance » April 4, 2017 12:04am | Report
I don't rlly think it's cos of Adagio, its more due to your carry and Jungler not being able to sustain enough on their own.
I am a roam main, and yes I used to get yelled a lot at by my teammate, but that is because my team's Jungler is in my opinion the most godly high sustain hero player I've ever seen. Vainglory is a team game, and if your teammates think you are doing something wrong, and they tell you what it is, try to patch up on your mistakes. At your rank, it is actually wise for your team to draft high sustain heroes like Krul or Tankier heroes like Joule. Even an untouchable carry like Celeste could help a ton! The reason for this is that Ardan's Vanguard is what makes all these high sustain heroes strong, as what they really need is a gap closer.
However, I do find your reasoning very peculiar. If you eat a stun for your team, you almost always have more resources than your enemy during that team fight. Maybe your carries just suck xD
Hello Everyone! I am Radiance, the Creator of 3 Essential Adagio Builds, which is the Highest rated Adagio guide on the Forums. I am also an Experienced Website Coder, and theorycraft enthusiast. I enjoy learning about the lore and story behind every game and every character. I like to find meaning in things that mean little to anyone, and uncover the secrets in Vainglory's tiniest of Details. I am a ROAM Main, and I play different genres of games, including sandbox, fps, and other MOBAS.

Radiance
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by BLG3RNT » April 4, 2017 10:56am | Report
Well everyone will have their opinions and unless you're going to record one of your matches and send it to me I really can't give you any advice on what's going wrong. Never the less I'll offer what advice I can. That being said, to be fair, I'm only Hotness Silver at the moment, so it's not like you're getting advice from the best of the best or something. I do believe my understanding of the game is better than my execution, but whatever, take it or leave it. I also main the Captain position, and main Adagio. I take it very personal if my teammates die. I really only have one job and that's keeping them alive. I digress.

First thing that jumps out at me is your draft. If you are banning Lyra and the other team leaves Adagio for you to take and you leave him on the board you are making a mistake. Healers are far to powerful in the current meta to leave on the board. That being said perhaps no one on your team is good with Adagio (he can also be flexed to Carry). If you aren't good with him, get good with him. If you absolutely aren't going to pick Adagio then ban him. Lyra is the weaker of the two healers currently. Yes, I understand that Lyra sorta counters your best Captain, but her bulwark is close to pointless right now. It is very short, learn to bait it out, then engage when it goes down. It has a very long cooldown so she can't spam it. But I think you're losing the draft before you even start by what you are saying here.

Second this comment jumps out at me "he prevents Ardan from diving". Unless you are an aggressive roam, and by that I mean your character not your play style, you shouldn't be diving. You are the Captain not the Carry. Fortress is really the only Captain that should be doing any type of diving, because that is his play style, but even that needs to be well timed and coordinated. Glaive may be the only other, but he's not a true Captain, he's a character that has high health stats that people are starting to adapt to the captain role.

It also sounds to me like there isn't enough communication between you and your team. Do you use discord? Or do you just party up to get draft? It sounds like your teammates aren't aware of what's going on, which is a commmon occurrence. Carry and Junglers tend to think they died because they didn't get a fountain or a crucible so it's the Captains fault. Too often they will dive to deep and thus are out of range, or they engage when such things aren't available to be used.

It also seems as if you may be playing in a manner which you think makes your teammates happy, screw them. If they knew how to play the position they would be the Captain. It boggles my mind how we all like to call ourselves a "main" position, but then want to tell everyone how to play theirs, and such comments are usually wrong. My teammate is a great example of this happening. Our current Jungler used to be our Captain and I was the Jungle. We found that it worked better for us when we switched. Not because I was a poor Junlge or because they didn't know how to Captain. However, when playing with the rest of our team as a captain, this teammate of mine often performed more poorly than when they captained with just me in duo queue. The reason for this was because when others were playing, especially one teammate in particular, they would change their play as Captain in an attempt to appease this teammate of ours who could be very judgemental and condescending. I on the other hand, have a very strong personality, and I play the way I play. Yes I try to learn, yes I try to get better all the time, but I don't change my play style for a teammate because they are an *******. Needless to say we no longer are teamed with that particular person, but I still Captain. It just works better for us.

Something you may want to think about also, is your priorities. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've never crucibles Skaarf's ult in my entire life. A - it's way to easy to avoid, just fall back and spread out. The thing with Skaarf's ult is that you will often notice Skaarf players start their ult and then immediately turn around and retreat and waste it, why? Because they misjudge the situation. Skaarf is a back line character, so if you fall back when he starts his wind up, he has to come forward and expose himself, if he does, burst him down. The bigger reason for not using crucible on his ult is because his burn is booty. If you're in the ult and taking damage, or your teammates are, short of using a crucible as a last second attempt to keep them alive with the momentary fortified health, crucible isn't going to really stop anything. Yes you can avoid the "burn" if you time it right, but Skaarf isn't CP Ringo, whose ult can melt down a quarter or more of your health. You really don't lose much from being burned by Skaarf. Skaarf's damage comes from the basic attacks on a burning player. Even his spitfire doesn't do much in the way of burn. Basic attacks and goop are the ways Skaarf inflicts damage with his burn. Also if you are allowing yourself to take the stun you are useless to your team for several seconds, which means no vanguards, no fountains, and if you are going against a burst team comp it's very likely they can take you out before you recover. So what if you have to use Crucible on yourself? It's your reflex block for the team, you are part of that team. If you have to use crucible on yourself, and that puts you in a bad position, fall back, regroup, disengage and wait for the cooldown before you engage again.

In the quest to move from CT to Hotness I've learned what most CT players need to learn, including myself, is how to pick the right fight. Not every engagement is a good one. You don't have to attack the enemy team just because you see them. Far too many players do that, which is odd because they won't do that in the lane. We spend most of our time in the lane staring at each other, and not engaging because it's not a favorable match up, but if we see them walking to the shop we must attack. Disengaging is real. Knowing when you're beat and escaping with your life is real.

Without seeing your match I can only go off of what you are offering here. Sometimes as a Captain you simply can't save your teammates. Sometimes your team just gets out drafted. Sometimes as a team you just get beat.

Hopefully some of this helped, but again it's not like I'm VG so take it or leave it.
IGN: BLG3RNT
Region: NA
Coach for Nova Esports
Imma Roam Main

BLG3RNT
<Editor>
Remarkable (44)
Quote | PM | +Rep by prodigy755 » April 4, 2017 11:12am | Report
@BLG3RNT

1) You really had time on your hands when you wrote that didnt you XD

2) I will take what you said into a lot of consideration. Some of what you said, when I reflect on it, might apply to me (especially the last few paragraphs) and I will try to work on it.

BTW your not VG so what? I learned a while ago that with the current MMR you might as well just screw your visual rank XD

Improvement comes from learning from your mistakes and fixing them, not just pointing them out.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
prodigy755
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by LilWolfPup » April 4, 2017 2:08pm | Report
Why are you playing with those people? They sounds like douches :P
Anyways, don't you have any friends who play Vainglory?
If you have none, do what I did.

So my BFF and her little brother HATED Vainglory whenever I talked about it. One day, the brother tried it again and got hooked. Together, me and her brother forced her to play a few games with us and once she found her main, she started liking it more.
Now they play more than me wtf. We communicate via calling over our phones.

What I'm trying to say is that you have no excuse to not get better allies.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
LilWolfPup
<Editor>
Notable (16)
Quote | PM | +Rep by BLG3RNT » April 4, 2017 3:05pm | Report
prodigy755 wrote:

@BLG3RNT

1) You really had time on your hands when you wrote that didnt you XD

2) I will take what you said into a lot of consideration. Some of what you said, when I reflect on it, might apply to me (especially the last few paragraphs) and I will try to work on it.

BTW your not VG so what? I learned a while ago that with the current MMR you might as well just screw your visual rank XD

Chuckles, have you read my guides? Almost nothing I say is short winded. Some people put stock into rank, some don't. I'm always up front about my status because I come off as opinionated, so it's only fair to know where that position is coming from. I however, choose to liken it to football. The best players don't make the best coaches, and vice versa. I like to think my understanding of the game is superior to my execution of it. But it is what it is.

The only thing you can do as a player is look to improve yourself. Too many people focus on complaining about those they play with. The only thing you can ever control is yourself. Focus on that, become the best Roam that you can. As I'm sure you know, but I'll say it if you don't, it is very possible to carry your team to victory as a Roam, so you can elevate your team with your Roam skills as you improve.
IGN: BLG3RNT
Coach for Nova Esports
Imma Roam Main

BLG3RNT
<Editor>
Remarkable (44)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Blissey123 » April 4, 2017 4:07pm | Report
Reply to Radiance:
What you say makes a lot of sense. The worst thing is, I am forced to play Lyra as a Roam and a carry at the same time! You see, the team that I often get is me as Lyra and my other 2 team mates are junglers, which suck. Even worse, the enemy team has 2 laners, so it's a recipe for disaster. Also, my team mates most of the time aren't coordinated, so when I call the whole team to save the turret, only 1 jungler comes, so both of us die and they hunt down the last team member and bwalah, an Ace.

That's why I prefer to do the Carry position in Ranked Matches, and the captain most of the time is good, so a balanced team.

I wish it would be better. You might say that I need to get my friends to play with me in Ranked but we don't usually do ranked and one of my friends usually takes Roam Ardan.

So now I play Celeste, Kestrel, Petal, ect...(not a roam) more often these days.

It's a different story when I do Catherine. There is less chance that they would do 2 junglers or laners because she can't be played as a carry, so it is clear I am Roam.

Any advice?
IGN: Blissey123
Hero mains: Lyra, Catherine, Koshka, Idris, Celeste, Kestrel, Flicker,Celeste
Heroes that I am good at but I don't have: Joule
Practicing: Kestrel, Celeste, Vox, Idris
Tier: Worthy Foe Silver
Best Heroes: Lyra, Catherine, Idris, Kestrel, Koshka, Vox, Celeste

Blissey123
Notable (17)
Quote | PM | +Rep by prodigy755 » April 4, 2017 5:46pm | Report
@lilwolfpup

I really do try my hardest to look for better allies, my only problem is that my friend pool is basically limited down to the noobs I come across in soloq, the people I meet in soloq who are interested in playing with me for about 1 day before they lose interest, or the people in my guild and they don't ever really party with anyone but friends :p

I'm not trying to make excuses, as I know that its coming across like that, its just hard for me to find some good allies right now. All I have for ranking up is my team mate and he isn't online all the time. Its just something I need to work out later.

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
prodigy755
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Takuisgud » April 5, 2017 8:44am | Report
Thats prob because they are in a match or they are not online yet haha
Me Random student

Takuisgud
Notable (16)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved