Vainglory Forums

Tips for Winning Matches / Advancing Skilltiers?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Clog » May 15, 2015 2:27pm | Report
I am an experienced player in vainglory and I have been playing since last year.

I recently made an account just by this week and earnt at least 20 cards, and reaching Karma 6.

Worst of all, My games have been very bad recently..

I am in Getting There Bronze.

I am in a team named GeN but it has a possibility to disband (huhu)

I feel that the Matchmaker does not work 100%. I stopped by Notbad Gold (my highest) and it dropped to GT Bronze..

I noticed that everytime I keep on playing on a lower skill tier, the allies I am with are 70% Worse than the players I have fought with on my other losses..

All I need is motivation, and ideas.

Everything that you need to know why I have a very awful progression:

I am not blaming but it's the players I fight.
Most are greedy (the act of being thirsty for kills), Afk, Soloing turrets with an incomplete build..

The teamwork of the enemy team.
I play at least 5 to 10 games a day in VG. I have noticed that 65% Are losses, and 45% are wins. Which is why on this account I have 30 wins approx.

Players that do not support the team.
A lot of players in vg are those who farm during teamfights, fight during last-man-standing (making you the only player alive on the team, and if killed grants an ace if killed early)

All I want is a method to get to a better condition.. Please help me :(
Former Account (Both Forums and Game) : Heat
Current Account (EU) : evidence (SEA) : Flight
Main (Jungler) : Koshka
Main (Laner) : Ringo
Alt (Jungler) : Krul, Petal, Taka
Alt (Laner) : SAW, Petal
Training : Catherine, Celeste, Ardan, Skaarf

Clog
Quote | PM | +Rep by Clog » May 16, 2015 1:42am | Report
Gyahahah I found my solution. :)

Clog
Quote | PM | +Rep by YourNameHere » May 16, 2015 2:59am | Report
We have the same prob bro. I dropped from decent-ish (skill tier 5 gold) to freaking not bas gold. Just be ause of my team mates.

IGN:YourNameHere

YourNameHere
Quote | PM | +Rep by banea12 » May 16, 2015 8:10am | Report
can someone explain to me how skill tier function

banea12
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Astrianna » May 16, 2015 11:35am | Report
A sufficiently high win ratio (normally brought about by win streaks) bumps you into the next tier.
IGN: Astrianna (NA)
Best Skill Level Achieved: Simply Amazing Bronze
Karma Level: 20
Best Heroes: Vox, Taka, Fortress
Training Heroes: Celeste, Rona

"How many Saws does it take to- one to instalock."

Astrianna
Notable (6)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Clog » May 18, 2015 4:43am | Report
YourNameHere wrote:

We have the same prob bro. I dropped from decent-ish (skill tier 5 gold) to freaking not bas gold. Just be ause of my team mates.

IGN:YourNameHere

I know how you feel. My solution is to carry the team and use my favorite character when possible, and I try to minimize my time to farm in order to help my team. Trust me. If you leave your allies in a team fight, you will regret it. But baiting them to the allies is not counted as leaving.

Clog
Quote | PM | +Rep by Clog » May 19, 2015 3:19am | Report
Astrianna wrote:

A sufficiently high win ratio (normally brought about by win streaks) bumps you into the next tier.

Thanks Astrianna! I've been doing some winstreaks with taka and ardan~

Clog
Quote | PM | +Rep by SavageMoor » May 19, 2015 6:05am | Report
Elsewhere in this forum the VG developers say the ranking system is based on the ELO rating system. This is a mathematical method to calculate a player's performance relative to others. There is an excellent Wikipedia article on it (google "Elo rating system").

In VainGlory, your ELO score is averaged with your other two teammates. Then, your team is matched against an opposing team that has an approximate same average ELO. For example, the enemy team may consist of one experienced player and two lamers. Their average ELO is approximately the same as your team. The one experienced player may dominate the game, creating an unbalanced or lopsided game. Sometimes, the tables are turned, and I'm that guy! This can be a potential problem of the team-average ELO-based matchmaking method. Presumably, the matchmaking algorithm attempts to at least make sure all three players are within the same ELO "bracket" by a couple sigmas.

Each player on the winning team scores some ELO based on the enemy team's average ELO. The tougher the enemy team's average ELO, the more ELO you score by defeating them. Each player on the losing team loses ELO in the same fashion. Then you are ranked based on your final calculated ELO. See the Wikipedia on how this equation works.

DEVELOPERS NOTE: perhaps when I lose a match due to an AFK or abandoned teammate, why do I lose ELO? It's not my fault! The AFK player should lose ELO, but not the remaining players! My team's average ELO should be at least adjusted by two-thirds - not the original full average of three players. The enemy should not be rewarded the full amount of victory ELO, because their victory was an easy 2v3 - lopsided and unfair advantage!

To the OP (Clog), I'm feeling your pain. I started a second account to learn how to fight with Taka. The fights on the lowest tiers are just as tough as my main account ("Pretty Good"). The ELO ranking system is very screwed up. Down at the lowest tiers, I'm being matched against some very experienced players, which makes the matches essentially 1v1, with the remainder being lamers or AFK. This is because experienced players commonly play zero-Karma matches (using guest account) to practice new characters. So the lowest tiers are populated with experienced players learning new characters or experienced players secondary accounts. I'm one of those guys.

In the "Pretty Good" tier, I still get players farming during team fights, getting baited into turrets, or overextending the lane. It's infuriating to lose a match because somebody is playing Krul in the jungle farming, playing as a loner while the other two players get ganked by a coordinated enemy team within line-of-sight. Yes, this happens. A huge team fight, and Krul is farming mobs. The enemy team mows us down, then kills Krul next. Aced. I'm starting to hate Krul players altogether. It's inevitable for somebody to flame me for saying that, but I have plenty of screenshots of Krul with low single-digit kills and near-zero assists, but with huge mob kills.

I screenshot the final score of every match on my main account. I go through huge winning streaks, but not any more. Over the past few weeks, nothing. So I created a secondary account, and it's the same story down there.

I can't tell the difference between Karma level 1 (new account) and Karma level 18 (main account). I get about the same amount of AFK and lamers. This is important. During many matches, one of my good teammates go AFK. Sometimes, I god AFK while I switch from using local WiFi to 3G trying to get a better connection. I cover this in another thread. I think the Vainglory servers have bandwidth bottlenecks, and until they fix their bottleneck, Karma is absolutely useless. Because good players are obviously going AFK due to connectivity issues, not because they quit playing.

I can tell some difference between the lowest starting tiers and "Pretty Good". In the lowest tiers there is usually a single super-talented player offset by super-untalented teammates, which make for highly unbalanced and sometimes infuriating gameplay. In "Pretty Good", you still get farmers and lane-overextenders, which wreck your teamwork and ruin your games.

In summary, I don't think the algorithms for tiers or karma or matchmaking work. Karma doesn't work because the majority of AFK is obviously connectivity or bandwidth issues, which I suspect are on the Vainglory server side. Tiers don't work because experienced players use either Guest accounts of secondary accounts to practice new characters, which populate Decent-ish and lower with a strange mix of noobs and veterans.

Since the algorithms don't work, they don't matter. Since they don't matter, stop paying attention to it. Which is hard to do.

SavageMoor
Quote | PM | +Rep by MisterOverdose » May 23, 2015 11:29am | Report
I have had the same issues..
As of late, with the exception of a few people on my friends list, I have been getting smashed... Full teams and people using good characters.. And then I play a match with a friend and te 3rd guy abandoned and we won 32-3 with two of us.. Next match with ransoms, got battered.

MisterOverdose
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Avocat » May 23, 2015 1:22pm | Report
Not really related but I've found playing after work/school is much more difficult regardless of tier. I'm sure that's about to change with summer though.
Avocat
Karma level 20
Wins 200+
Decent-Ish
All PUGs so far.

Avocat

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved