Vainglory Forums

Why can't supports just let the carry control the minion waves?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by RxyDxy » January 4, 2017 12:29am | Report
Just wanted some opinions about pushing the lane. When I play carry, there are times when I just have a terrible early game, losing tier 1 tower early. My automatic response is to slow play the game out by keeping the wave close to my tier 2 tower, thus denying farm to the enemy carry, and giving me a chance to catch up from behind. However, many times I face the problem where my support comes up to my lane and starts question mark pinging me for not hitting the minions, even though I'm getting all the last hits. Said support then usually proceeds to hit the minions himself, completely ruining my lane equilibrium and leaving me with no place to farm because the wave has pushed out to the other side of the map where it is not safe.

When I play support I only aim to hit minions in the wave if:
1. My carry is ready to push
2. My carry is absent from the lane for whatever reason
3. My carry has allowed me to farm to quickly get items

However, even for number 2 so often I see people who just keep hitting the minions, which pushes out the lane, so when the carry comes back to the lane he has nothing to farm. It's really stupid because everyone starts pinging the carry for playing badly/having poor farm when it was the fault of the carry's teammates for spoiling the wave. I had one game where this was repeatedly the case resulting in the last hit difference between me and the enemy carry to increase minute by minute. Luckily their carry just clears the wave fast so at least I still have chances where the wave reaches my tower eventually. I think if the carry played like me I would have had close to zero farm and would have been in an even worse situation. How come this isn't like Dota 2 where people keep the wave close to tower to completely deny the enemy farm? It's like somehow this concept is non-existent in Vainglory. (or at least I have yet to see anyone play like this other than myself) How about people who play supports too, what are you concerns when you see your carry not pushing the wave? Finding it really frustrating when I have a bad start sometimes and then teammates don't make it any easier for me. Btw this is at SA rank, so it's not like I had complete disasters for teammates, but they really screwed my farm big time.
IGN: RxyDxy
Region: SEA
Current Rank: The Hotness (Silver)
Favourite Heroes: Koshka, Rona, Flicker, Alpha

RxyDxy
Notable (5)
Quote | PM | +Rep by LilWolfPup » January 4, 2017 4:35pm | Report
I always consider this when I play support (namely Fortress).
If the carry is dead, I'll move over to lane and let the jungler jungle by himself.
I always make sure the enemy wave of minions are close enough to my turret that the enemies won't try to get close to attack my minions, but far enough so that the minions can't attack the turret.
Most of the time though, I'm just walking in circles, guarding our turret while the carry respawns. That's usually when our 1st turret is destroyed and the minions are usually near mid-lane.
As soon as carry comes, I leave to go jungle again.
Region: NA

Awards Showcase
Show more awards
LilWolfPup
<Editor>
Notable (16)
Quote | PM | +Rep by 354RRR » January 7, 2017 1:14am | Report
It does suck when you have it frozen on your end perfectly, and the Roam Glaive comes in and clears it with one crit.... When you do leave lane as the laner, I do think it's important that you have someone taking the minions(waste of gold if you don't), but it really should be just last hits that are necessary. Even this should only happen when the opposing laner is present and your laner is gone, at least in my opinion.

354RRR
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by BLG3RNT » January 7, 2017 3:32am | Report
I will say I've personally never encountered the situation you refer to beyond stealing the minions. I hate that. I great Captain position will have single digit CS by the end of game. I've never seen someone question the carry for controlling the wave. Are you currently in the lower ranks? Often newer players think full speed ahead is the only way. I will say I find it annoying when a laner will come pillage the jungle instead of maintaining their lane, and pushing when the time is appropriate.

As a Captain I will only take a minion A) by accident or B) if no one is there to take the kill. No point in wasting gold.

There does come a point though where if the laner just isn't getting the job done the other teammates are going to have to help push.

One problem with keeping your wave back by your turret, especially if you are back to the 2nd lane turret and behind, is that if your team manages a solid team fight win and it's not super late in the match you won't be able to take advantage of the momentum swing because the other team will rotate or respawn before you can more the wave from your tier 2 turret all the way to their turret.

I can understand your complaints here, but there may be a need to understand where the wave should be on your part. It's hard to say without actually watching, but in general there is validity to the questions and concerns that you pose.
IGN: BLG3RNT
Region: NA
Coach for Nova Esports
Imma Roam Main

BLG3RNT
<Editor>
Remarkable (44)
Quote | PM | +Rep by RxyDxy » January 9, 2017 7:44am | Report
Nope I played that game at SA (Silver) rank unless you consider even that to be a low skilled game. Or it could just be my SEA region in general, I think players here might be on average lower skilled than those in other regions, it applies for other MOBA games as well actually.

Generally I understand that by keeping the wave close to the tower, I might be exposing the team to threats such as loss of gold mine, 3 man jungle invades, but after awhile I find that when we are on the losing end and playing from behind, even if I do try to push the tower, the said above tend to be inevitable anyways regardless of my plays because of how small the map is, and I only open myself to the risk of dying if I overextend during the push.

Also generally I find that with a solid teamfight, if it results in an Ace, it's usually enough to bring at least one turret down for the comeback. And if I do expect to fight a teamfight I would probably push out the wave before attempting to fight anyways. That's my experience so far, but it most likely differs from game to game.
IGN: RxyDxy
Region: SEA
Current Rank: The Hotness (Silver)
Favourite Heroes: Koshka, Rona, Flicker, Alpha

RxyDxy
Notable (5)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Yezdegerd » January 25, 2017 10:33am | Report
ROFL I feel ya, this drives me NUTS. I spam ! but they just keep on ruining the game. Either that or the ROAM/Jungle will just start farming my lane and taking last hits which usually sends me into insta tilt.

Yezdegerd
Quote | PM | +Rep by bradencn » January 27, 2017 7:11am | Report
I am the Hotness gold, and I main support. The only time I hit minions is for the same three reasons you mentioned. IF there is no laner currently in the lane and there is gold to be had, I take it. Sometimes the laner rude pings the **** out of me, so I stop, but when I know a minion is about to die anyway, of course I take that last hit so I get the gold, but I don't do any other attacks other than that unless a push is helpful.

bradencn

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved