Vainglory Forums

Lance Lore: ‘The Archelions’

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Dash » May 18, 2016 9:22am | Report

‘The Archelions’

Lance’s people embrace a young man who has bought passage on their floating island…

Samuel emerged from his rented island room sullen, his cheeks gaunt, dressed all in black. He walked past hammocks where the locals napped away the hot afternoon, couples snoring together in a tangle of limbs, mothers curled around little children like shells around peas. Away from the dwellings he found a handful of goats gnawing on shrubs; honeybees dove through tall bamboo to rummage inside of flowering beans, zucchini and asparagus. In the garden it was difficult to believe that the island was the shell of the giant and ancient titanback named Archelon, floating his annual way around the world.

He followed a path through the tide pools where barefoot children sprinted over the slick bone surface, squatting to inspect the bright slugs, limpets, anemones, sea slugs and stars. A small child held a sea urchin in one hand, drawing out meat from its belly with deft fingers and slurping it up as he watched Samuel step with care. Older children looked after nests of eggs larger than their heads.

At the highest point of the island, the smell of food cooking set his stomach to growling. Locals milled about, poking at a grill, laying out baskets, cleaning up children. A giant carp smoked to a golden brown crisp on smoldering coals laid in the center, its stuffed belly open; clams and oysters and heaps of pickled seaweed lay in steaming piles around it.

“Take cover, ladies. A raincloud approaches,” called a voice, followed by ladies laughing. “Join us, Samuel.”

Blossoms drifted down from a cherry tree under which sat a large man, two women and a basket of food. The three wore sarongs; the man’s was fuschia and wrapped round his waist. One of the women shaved his head with a straight razor. The other sat cross-legged, her hand outstretched, as the man manicured her nails.

Samuel paused in an awkward half-step before sitting at the edge of the shade. “I am afraid I do not know you.”

“You need not fear. I am Lance,” said the man. The woman pushed his ear forward to shave behind it. “Eat honey and cheese. It will sweeten you.”

“I will not eat today,” said Samuel.

“Are you sick?” asked the woman with the straight razor.

“No,” said Samuel. “Fasting preserves power and increases discipline.”

“You have all the rest of your lonely life to starve,” said the man. “How many days will you have for licking honey from the fingers of a beautiful lady?”

Samuel turned his blushing face away from the manicured woman, who dipped a finger in the honeypot with a sly smile. “Is she not one of your wives?”

“People are not possessions,” replied Lance.

“Are these not your children?” sputtered Samuel.

“The children belong to everyone, or rather, we belong to them.” The woman folded away her razor and a little boy slipped down from a branch onto Lance’s shoulders. “You will break your fast today, Sam. If you argue, we will take offense.”

“I prefer Samuel,” he said, but he could not refuse. He deposited a bit of fish into his basket and plucked meat from the fragile bones with his fingers like the others. Children crawled up on his legs and asked incessant questions. Lance made no move to save him from the onslaught, and before long Samuel could not help but chuckle.

After they had eaten, the crowd walked the long pathway down to the shell’s edge to watch the sea trolls hunt. They herded seals and held them under, drowning them before tossing them high in the air and catching them in their giant maws.

“I would not allow the children so close to those hunters,” said Samuel.

Lance kept an arm around Samuel’s stiff shoulder as though they were old friends. “The trolls come ashore once a year to lay eggs, and we care for them. In return, the trolls protect Archelon’s soft underbelly from predators, and we play together. Come, watch the jousts.”

At the shell’s edge, past the long line of docked barges, men tied woven saddles to the beasts’ great heads. Wearing bamboo armor and shields and wielding rattan lances, the men mounted the trolls and charged, their lances crashing into one another’s shields with startling cracks. Lance was the best of these knights; he took to the saddle as if born there, sending one opponent after another splashing into the water, his powerful arm locked around his weapon, a frightening grin spread across his face. His troll roared its pleasure and sprayed the onlookers with a wall of water from its slapping tail.

After the jousts, Samuel and Lance watched the moon rise together while the others wandered away. “How do you like our home?” asked Lance.

“It will not last,” said Samuel. “Archelon will not live forever.”

“The rings round the scutes tell us that Archelon has lived at least a thousand growth seasons, and he swims stronger than ever.”

“All things die.”

“Have faith, Sam.” Lance clapped the young man on his shoulder.

“That is no answer.”

“And yet, it is ever the correct one.”
To be continued…
Be Awesome To One Another

Dash
<Community Manager>
Remarkable (38)
Quote | PM | +Rep by P0m3granat3 » May 20, 2016 3:34pm | Report
Who's Lance? Not a hero, is he...?
~P0m3granat3
ID: FoxtailTaka
Main: Flicker
Active Time: 4-8pm
Tier: currently tier 5 gold. Almost 6. And im lvl 29.
I have mained flicker for since he came out. I can play him support best, but excel at jungle as well I can play lane with flick ok, but only cp whereas i can do cp or wp for jungle.

P0m3granat3
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by andrew17011 » May 20, 2016 4:15pm | Report
@P0m3granat3 He's one of the new support heroes.

Also whoever drew the picture deserves an award
Andrew17011
Graphic Designer
Got Swagger is BAE!!1!

andrew17011
Notable (6)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bashj » May 22, 2016 10:03am | Report
Looks awesome!

Bashj
Quote | PM | +Rep by vikings102 » May 23, 2016 8:48am | Report
P0m3granat3 wrote:

Cool! Only been playing VG for a few months but I play support, always! Lookin forward to this new guy. By the way, I'd like some feedback on my Petal guide (she's my main), so if you want... the name of the guide is "I Bet They'll Underestimate Me! A Tanky Support Petal Guide". THX!

My VG ID is FoxtailTaka.

Don't advertise your build

vikings102
Remarkable (25)
Quote | PM | +Rep by P0m3granat3 » May 24, 2016 7:15am | Report
whoops, sorry! I'm new to this site and dont know the rules.
~P0m3granat3
I have mained flicker for since he came out. I can play him support best, but excel at jungle as well I can play lane with flick ok, but only cp whereas i can do cp or wp for jungle.

P0m3granat3
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by vikings102 » May 24, 2016 7:58am | Report
P0m3granat3 wrote:

whoops, sorry! I'm new to this site and dont know the rules.

Here, http://www.vaingloryfire.com/rules

vikings102
Remarkable (25)
Quote | PM | +Rep by P0m3granat3 » May 24, 2016 7:12pm | Report
@viking thx! I'll read them. How long have you been with vgfire?
~P0m3granat3

P0m3granat3
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by P0m3granat3 » May 24, 2016 7:24pm | Report
ok read them and realized i broke that rule, im deleting my comment of advertisement right now. Thx!
~P0m3granat3

P0m3granat3
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by P0m3granat3 » May 24, 2016 7:37pm | Report
I just realized how sad that deleted comment was... I sounded like a telemarketer...
~P0m3granat3

P0m3granat3
Notable (4)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved