Vainglory Forums

Caerine - Warhorn or Contraption?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by TheManTheMythTheLegend » August 20, 2015 6:09pm | Report
First off, contraption and warhorn altogether are wastes of money. Do your team a favor and buy fountain of renewal as your first item. It's much more worth it to revive your entire team than to lay down a couple of expensive mines or get a short speed boost.
IGN - KillerInstincts
Skill Tier - Simply Amazing Gold *Before Compression :(*
Main - Skaarf, Joule, Catherine
Alts - Glaive, Taka
"You can't get got; you gotta go get. If you get got you can't go get, but if you go get its hard to get got."

TheManTheMythTheLegend
Notable (9)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Halcius » August 28, 2015 4:00pm | Report
Nicknation wrote:

No Mafia is right imo. I main Catherine and Taka. I build Contraption and Aftershock personally. Clockwork is a bit of an overkill though because the more CDA you get, there's diminishing returns. Aftershock and Contraption work incredibly well with Catherine as if you overdrive her second ability she has a 3 second cooldown on it. That makes her as tanky as you will ever need and you won't struggle with mana problems when you overdrive her Merciless Pursuit. The item combos let her deal damage and provide tons of vision for your team.

I don't mean to hype myself but for the OP, since you were asking about what to build. I have a Catherine build that I use pretty much exactly in that order every time and it works great.

I don't think so, CDA and Mines are suppose to be Contraptions main attraction though they are junk here no doubt. CDA? I'll take Clockwork. Aftershock? I'll take Eve better, the only Crystal item Catherine needs if any. I like the path better as well, early +400 health or 25%CDA? I'll take the health.
25%CDA isn't as useful early game when you only have low level A & B abilities and if you have C the cooldown on it is so high that when you see the timer on it you know you're not counting on it for the next 2 fights maybe 3.

I also prefer Warhorns +100dmg to monsters over contraptions +50 splash dmg. The warhorn gives Catherine better opportunity to quickly farm the enemies' jungle and speed around objective to objective and be where your teammates need you.

People should also be aware that Contraptions cost savings on Mines doesn't start paying off until 3 minutes after it's purchase thanks to the 15-20sec refill, and that is only if you're constantly laying the free mines before they reach capacity, with little regard for strategic placement. Realistically the cost savings don't start coming in until 5 minutes after the purchase,
and that weakens the aggressive play reasoning, IMO.

Halcius
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by brainkill » September 5, 2015 2:31am | Report
Contraption

brainkill
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Neko » September 12, 2015 8:11am | Report
I personally prefer building Warhorn on Cath, especially when I have a krul or ay hero that could use some extra quick positioning,
Imalso find the defensive and offensive strategies of this incredible, for example I can save low hp allies by making them away from danger quickly, or I could iniate and confuse the enemy team with it. And as a side note, the extra damage to turrets and objectives help a lot when farming or pushing.
Please provide feedback for Ma koshka guide

Neko
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by asiankatemoss » November 8, 2015 8:56am | Report
i feel like the cooldown reduction from contraption + cooldown reduction that you get from aftershock and clockwork in standard catherine builds means that you're able to stun and silence a lot more often and thus add more to your late game armour and defenses making you virtually unkillable - though I guess that depends on how committed you are to ditching out stuns and running whenever possible early game. Also vision is so important after the 20minute mark or so yes I would normally err towards contraption

asiankatemoss
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by BassGould » November 28, 2015 12:48am | Report
I always go with a very specific build on Catherine, if played well I can land a ten kill one death game with her. I like to get contraption then war horn, the journey boots, then shiver steel. Basically the whole utility section, then I pick up a fountain of renewal and a clockwork, but I'm thinking an aftershock might be good, but haven't tested that one yet.

BassGould
Quote | PM | +Rep by mdmaction » December 3, 2015 1:03am | Report
always rush warhorn now, contraption sucks with the change, get if if u ahead.

mdmaction
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Nymeria » December 3, 2015 7:42am | Report
Builds should always be situational, and if you're a roamer it's crucial that you don't follow a set build. Items like fountain and crucible are default needs but as for the utility ones, it all depends on the team comp/playstyle.

As a Cath I always carry flares and set up traps on the essential areas: lane bush, gold miner, near enemy shop bush, etc. But if the enemy roam actively seeks out these traps, I get a contraption purely because of convenience. It sucks having to stop at the jungle shop and buy traps all the time only to have them detonated 5 secs later. Also if there's an enemy taka contraption is almost always the priority (after fountain) because you need those unlimited flares. When a teamfight breaks out, flare immediately even before Taka goes invisible. He'll think he's safe while your carries can see and target him the entire time.

Also late game, I find that contraption turns the tide for seemingly hopeless matches. When the enemy team is 10 kills and a billion gold ahead, we're doomed. But with the vision that contraption gives, it allows my team to isolate one of their carries and exterminate them before help comes. Vision saves lives lol. Or when my team knows for sure that the enemy team is hiding somewhere, instead of facechecking (deadly move late game) I simply fire a flare from the contraption and we hit first or run away.

But again it is situational. I build warhorn when there's a target we cant quite kill bec. of speed... Or when I need the extra jungle dmg for kraken.
I rarely buy both.

Basically the rule is: get stormguard banner, then wait and assess the needs of the match. There is no better item. There is only a better situational build.

Nymeria
Quote | PM | +Rep by longdongkim » December 22, 2015 5:36am | Report
do you even need to ask

Contraption suck balls.

Yea, go ahead and buy it if you know your team's gonna lose and enjoy spamming mines around your last two standing turrets.

IF I had to choose, War Horn >>>>>>>>>>> Contraption, period.

Must-get items for EVERY support:

Fountain
Crucible
Storm guard Banner (early game)
Boots

Everything else is situational. Clockwork or Aftershock helps if you're Cathrine but if you go for Aftershock, make sure you get it AFTER Crucible & Fountain, or unless your team is ahead. Because if you can't actually provide SUPPORT for your team, what good are you?? If your team's overall damage output is lackluster compared to enemy team which ends up forcing you to buy Aftershock or Breaking Point before actual support items, your team is either heavily behind on farm or just suck.. in any case you have already lost the match. Go ahead and buy that Contraption and spam those mines around your Vain Crystal. Better yet, try to spell out a word with your mines!

longdongkim
Notable (13)
Quote | PM | +Rep by longdongkim » December 24, 2015 1:52pm | Report

First off, contraption and warhorn altogether are wastes of money. Do your team a favor and buy fountain of renewal as your first item. It's much more worth it to revive your entire team than to lay down a couple of expensive mines or get a short speed boost.

Thank you. This guy knows what he's talking about.

longdongkim
Notable (13)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved