Vainglory Forums

A few suggestion for participating in ranked matches. Feed back is appreciated.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by mrapsinker » November 2, 2015 6:33am | Report
I like most have had the unfortunate luck at one time or another of being stuck with someone in a ranked match who has no clue how to play the game, their chosen character or role. It ruins the game play experience of what should be a competitive, fun and challenging match regardless of what skill tier a person may be playing at.

My suggestion is to require a person to have a 100 games won in casual on each character they wish to play in ranked match before granting them the ability to enter a more competitive environment, I feel this would not only bring more of a balanced or consistent level of game play to the ranked matches but also eliminate a lot of the frustration people feel when they start a ranked match and 1 minute later the person who is securing the lane is dead or the people in the jungle. I believe this would allow people to not only get a better understanding of how to play that character and their various roles, but also lead to a over all more enjoyable gaming experience while not detracting from the game itself.

I also wanted to address the issue with people in ranked matches abandoning the matches, intentionally losing and the every annoying person who pings the map a billion times in a match. Now I do understand thing happen etc where a person may lose their internet connection or have some urgent business matter that may have popped up out of the blue, However I feel that harsher punishments should be given out to those who consistently show complete disregard to these simple concepts, perhaps place a counter on the screen showing when they will be banned in increments of 24 hours/48 hours/72 hours and then permanently banned for x amount of games abandoned instead of just throwing them in with other people who abandon games. Please keep in mind this is only a suggestion for ranked matches not casual game play.

mrapsinker
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by TheManTheMythTheLegend » November 2, 2015 7:23am | Report
Regarding the 100 game victory requirement, that is simply too much. Considering that most people win as often as they lose, it means they would need around 200 games just to play a specific hero in ranked. Saying that each game is averaged at 22 minutes, that means you would need to play for 73 HOURS with just one character. Don't you think that's insane? I agree with you that people who leave the match should face tougher time bans, but in no way should you have to play with a character for so long in casual just to be able to use him in ranked.
IGN - KillerInstincts
Skill Tier - Simply Amazing Gold *Before Compression :(*
Main - Skaarf, Joule, Catherine
Alts - Glaive, Taka
"You can't get got; you gotta go get. If you get got you can't go get, but if you go get its hard to get got."

TheManTheMythTheLegend
Notable (9)
Quote | PM | +Rep by mrapsinker » November 2, 2015 9:49am | Report
Perhaps 100 wins per character is a bit excessive and maybe 25 games per character is more reasonable which works out to 25 hours @ 30 min a game but ultimately if VG decided to go with a system like that it would be up to them for a final number of matches and the fine tuning of it. I was just thinking back to when I first started playing you had to reach a level 20 karma and purchase 3 characters before you could play in any ranked matches, which is about 100-200 games maybe more if you didn't buy ice to purchase the characters because in the beginning your going to lose a majority of the matches which just works out to lower glory so when I said 100 matches to me it didn't seem really excessive until you pointed out the amount of time.

Honestly there aren't any major differences between Ranked and Casual other than one is actually keeping track of how well you and your team performs in a match and the bigger issue which we are trying to resolve is that a majority of the player playing ranked matches tend to take it more seriously than people who usually play casually, I guess that is a tactful way of putting it. I hear all too often and had first hand experience of people complaining about how awful it is to play ranked matches when there are so many people who don't know how to play their role correctly so instead of being a nay sayer I thought I'd try to throw out some idea's to help solve the issue and not make too much extra work for the developers.

mrapsinker
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Halcius » November 2, 2015 6:21pm | Report
Sounds good but maybe make the matches won requirement based on the ranked tier you're trying to play that character in? 100 games would be fine, if you're trying to play that character in SA & or higher.

Should someone at "Ask Again Later" really need 100 games won? By that time chances are that player will have enough game experience to go toe-to-toe with "Not Bad". Tiers 1 - 3 would be empty.

Also keep in mind the game makes it very easy to start playing Ranked by the time your account is a couple days old. You practically get 3 free Heroes early to get into the competition.

Halcius
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by mrapsinker » November 3, 2015 1:57pm | Report
Good point. Perhaps a ladder system. X amount of wins per tier/rank.

mrapsinker
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSugarTits » November 4, 2015 12:51pm | Report
I think total matches won would be the better way to go about it instead of individual matches with a champion. If I need to have 25 wins with a champion before I can play that champ in a ranked game I might just not bother and stick to only one or two champs. With that line of thinking many players will only focus on one or two champs because the effort required to play a different one is too much. This could lead to conflict if two players who make your requirement to play ranked, but for only one champion both want the same character. Also, new champs would not see any ranked play until a week after their release at the earliest.
Perhaps the easiest way to increase the overall skill level of those who play ranked is to up the amount of champs required from 3-5. This means players will have to play for a longer period of time, thus increasing their skills and knowledge of the game, before being admitted into ranked games. This also increases the players ability to choose champions better matched with their teammates if they have more than 1 option per available role.
Something that should be required for ranked games is for you to choose your role before picking your champion. If you pick Lane/Roamer/Jungle first, and then have access to the champion pool it will allow the other team members to pick around you. This will keep groups from unknowingly picking to champs who both think they are going into the lane and no one into the jungle. Very few things are more frustrating than teammates who refuse to choose a role and you are left to guess where they are planning to go.

TheSugarTits
Quote | PM | +Rep by mrapsinker » November 5, 2015 11:38am | Report
I think you have some very good ideas there, but I don't think it would be a issue even at 25 games per hero. The point of the requirement is to force people to learn and spend time with a character to learn the in's and out's of it so they don't just go into a ranked match and cause a pretty much immediate loss due to lack of knowledge on how that character works or their role. It wouldn't stop a person from playing in or enjoying casual games with that hero it would simply improve the over all quality of matches so you don't have that lop sided feeling as much. To me there is nothing more frustrating than having a person come into a ranked match and by the 8 minute mark have almost 15 deaths for no reason other than not knowing how to play the character OR just not understanding the fundamentals of game in general.

You had voiced some concern over people fighting over various characters and yes that will probably happen just as it does now however by the 2-4 week mark at the most people will have a majority of their characters unlocked for ranked matches and you have to keep in mind there are so many players that play VG that I don't see it as being even a major issue maybe a speed bump in the road but that's about it especially considering the revamp to the guilds and how the xp system works, I think we will be seeing a lot more guild on guild battles and thus pretty much eliminating that issue right from the start.

As for a new hero not getting any game play within the first week of its release date in ranked match is for the best. I believe that it is better to have that 1 week delay simply because it gives the players a chance to figure out how the character performs in VG battles and they will get a nice feel for that hero before taking them into the competitive side of VG where the stakes are a little higher for everyone. like I stated earlier its not about how many hero's you have access to its how well you can play them and when you get match after match of people who perform poorly in rated matches it is very frustrating to say the least and this mainly applies to the lower tiers 5 and below sometimes you will get that odd ball in the higher brackets/ranks uh but it is very minimal.

I do like parts of your idea of locking in a role before you can select a character however I don't like the fact that it would limit you to only certain hero's within a particular group that is consider support/laners/primary jungler. I think that it would cause some unnecessary limitations on the game and may have some adverse unforeseen side affect........ I guess that's the best way to put it. But I think that is mainly because I like opportunity to freely experiment first hand what works and what doesn't and actually learn from it from either crashing and burning or doing amazing, It adds something to my tool bag that when I go into a battle I know this hero's strong point is this and if I do this it causes x to happen and the other hero ends up dying from the extra pressure or whatever the case maybe.

mrapsinker
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by gyzsombi » November 5, 2015 12:01pm | Report
I don't really know what should I do. I've been playing for 2-3 months, I was in T5 and now I get rekt.
I get noobs every time, eg.: they just pick two jungler characters and leave me totally alone on the lane. They don't know the tacticts, the basic roles and how to play as a TEAM.
Because of this sh*t now I'm in T3...
Server: EU
Nickname: Zsoozs

gyzsombi
Quote | PM | +Rep by mrapsinker » November 5, 2015 6:56pm | Report
Yeah unfortunately because of the squish with ranks and the reset from what I've heard people were all reset to rank 5 as far as I know. So it will be a little crazy for a while, the best thing I can suggest for you is to find a active guild and do groups like that for now until people drop or rise to their respective ranks again.

mrapsinker
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by KuntFu » November 6, 2015 4:31am | Report
Win or lose, a certain amount of matches sounds good, so you can at least grasp the characters. Some of the numbers you guys are saying sounds crazy to me though, it didn't take me that long have three characters or a level 20 account. But maybe I just play too much.

25 games for some people, regarding grasping how to pay, how to play that character, how to play that character as a team win others, isn't enough :)

KuntFu

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved