Vainglory Forums

Are contraption & warhorn really worth it??

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bootylicious » August 11, 2015 5:05pm | Report
But really though. I almost never buy them when I play support- I usually immediately dive into a fountain, and occasionally an AP or crucible if they're obviously going to make a huge difference in those early-midgame fights. I personally would much rather have the cheaper, team saving defense items that make me a tanky monster & make my team more sustainable than the pricy utility items that either give a speed boost or jungle vision + scout trap damage along with a slight defense buff to only myself.

With contraption, I would much rather just buy scouts, flares, & small defense items & get the same results. I can use them all at any time, & I would probably save some gold. With warhorn, is the speed boost really worth all that $? I'd rather just heal my team as we run away. I generally play Catherine support, so I already have great chase. I've seen many tanks get wrecked & be useless to fellow teammates simply because their first choice was one of these two items. On the other hand, I've seen many tanks do great with these items, so it's a little confusing.

Thoughts? & please, don't lecture me on how to use them or what their purpose is lol. This is more of a question on their value compared to the value of defense items or even compared to aftershock.
Skill tier- usually floating around in simply amazing
Server- NA
I can play any position. Add me for a match!

Bootylicious
Notable (18)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Halcius » August 11, 2015 10:43pm | Report
Warhorn is amazing for both offensive and defensive plays, the CD is 10secs shorter than Boots! It has a wide AoE radius which is what I think really gives it worth, you can be a good distance away from your team mates and turn the tables on enemy aggressors. Low HP teammate gets out of reach -> Full HP Tank gets a quick engage and disrupts with support fire from low health teammate.

Being able to hunt down the more slippery Heroes like Koshka and Taka is also satisfying.

Halcius
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Buleklek » August 11, 2015 11:35pm | Report
I don't use contraption since I can buy scout traps and flares at the shop, which is why I always buy Warhorn. Both are good items, but as a Tank I'd prefer Warhorn for Catherine. Well, it still depends on your strategy and gameplay. But Contraption give you lesser health but decent CDA, but in team fights, you'd need burst of speed for chasing and retreat, and more hp.

For me still worth it (Warhorn). Since you play support, IGC is the first item to buy initially.
I Play--
Support: Catherine
Jungle: Alpha / Krul
Lane: Vox / Lyra / Kestrel

Buleklek
Quote | PM | +Rep by Nicknation » August 12, 2015 7:21am | Report
I main Catherine and I actually rush CDA items. I think Contraption is actually a great item for her and yeah with Catherine's stun you really don't need the extra chase. One thing I do different from most Catherine's is overdrive her second and not her first ability. I put in three points into the first and then go all for the second ability (of course doing ult whenever you can, and grabbing all the abilities at first). When you overdrive her second, the cool-down is so low that when I rush Contraption and Aftershock you can use it every 3 seconds. Also this does 83 dps AOE btw which isn't to shabby. Especially combined with her aftershock slice damage. I tend to try to rush Contraption first, because it also gives you quite a bit of health regen (similar to fountain) and also wave clear if your laner needs to recall suddenly.

Of course if the enemy team is early aggression build some starting defense items as that is more gold efficient, but in my opinion rush Contraption to harass the enemy team with mines and helping your laner with vision. Then build the CDA part of Aftershock and then finish Aftershock of counterbuild the enemy teams offensive items. I essentially just listed my build I posted of Catherine on my page, but yeah in my opinion it works really well with Catherine :) hope it helps.

Nicknation
Quote | PM | +Rep by Yangusbeef » August 12, 2015 9:12am | Report
Contraption is good for a defensive style team.
I never play scaarf but I have him as my avatar to mess with people.
I am a young pizza cat, even though I hate koshka.
IGN: Yangusbeef
Rank: Pretty good. It fluctuates between bronze, silver. and gold, but I usually never go under or over that.

Yangusbeef
Notable (11)
Quote | PM | +Rep by FederalMafia » August 12, 2015 4:00pm | Report
I go with Contraption early game ONLY if my team is more offensive minded. The traps and flares find the enemy for mid game jungle or lane rushes when most people are still farm focused and playing with the laner/jungler arrangement. It also helps me farm if I'm covering the lane or separated from the team mate I'm feeding. The cooldown boost is nice and the health regen helps me farm longer, but in late game when the game is more team fight oriented, those don't really matter since the fights are over so quick (usually). Speaking of late game, Contraption has almost no value to me and I sell it off for an offensive item. Since I have Crucible, Fountain of Renewal, AP (most likely), Boots and Shiversteel (most likely), there's not too much defense you can add to the team make up. So I will look to build offensive items like Bonesaw, Aftershock or Broken Myth (depending on enemy team builds) to help in late game fights.

I think that if you are going to stay with either Warhorn or Contraption as part of your final build, Warhorn is the way to go. It's stronger against the Kraken, gives better health benefits and allows you to chase or retreat as a team. Contraption's usefulness (for me) just drops off way too much in late game to be worth not going with more offense to help in team fights. The flares almost give away your position just as much as you finding them, and the scout traps do almost no damage late game and are quickly snuffed out by the enemy team. I'll give an exception though if you are against a strong Taka, which make the flares almost essential.

I do think that these two items have value since as a pure tank, you generally have ZERO offense against the Kraken, minion mines or turrets that has any real usefulness. So, along with the health and non-hero damage, you just have to decide which of the perks best suit your team in that particular match.
[*] IGN - FederalMafia (NA)

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide mission."

FederalMafia
Notable (7)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Yangusbeef » August 12, 2015 5:23pm | Report
I disagree. Warhorn is better offensively because it is an extra pair of boots. However, I can see where you are coming from. Contraption can be useful when scouting for isolated targets and it can push lane faster. It is better to just buy individual mines/flares, as they are cheap, and get Warhorn first.
Rank: Pretty good. It fluctuates between bronze, silver. and gold, but I usually never go under or over that.

Yangusbeef
Notable (11)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Halcius » August 12, 2015 11:11pm | Report
Maybe it's just because of the tier I am in. I've given up on scout mines for now, they are useless if the team doesn't know how to capitalize on them getting triggered by the enemy. Once in a while yes the team is great and will almost never let the enemy get the jump on them with the help of your mines, but mostly, no. No luck, it's too much of a risk and waste of gold, better to just spend the gold on upgrading your stats rather than wasted mines.

Halcius
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Yangusbeef » August 13, 2015 9:09am | Report
Scout mines aren't useless... They do like 250 true damage.

Yangusbeef
Notable (11)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Sontaran Gaming » October 24, 2015 4:52am | Report
I play CP Taka, and contraption is really good, depending on how you use it. I always go for ironguard and cooldown acceleration, as well as lots of vision. Contraption is great for that, since clockwork and aftershock don't fit my build, and this lets me have a slot without losing my ironguard buff, and doing more damage to jungle camps. Overall, I think it's a great item if you focus a lot on vision, especially if you place traps in obvious locations (like the middle of bushes) it lets you maintain vision and also have flares. But, I like it most because it saves a slot.

Sontaran Gaming

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved