Vainglory Forums

Before you rant about bad players, read this.

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bootylicious » March 12, 2015 2:33pm | Report
Since I'm seeing a ton of rants on the matchmaking system, I figure I'll post this. Please note that I am not denying that the matchmaking system could have issues, however, I'd like people to consider some things before posting their doctoral thesis on why they hate Vain Glory due to getting bad teammates.

1. You can't really complain about bad teammates if you're in any skill tier below the hotness. Don't get me wrong, there are some great players down there, but overall, anything pretty good & below is going to have novice players who are either less skilled or less serious. I'm getting annoyed when I see players who have high karmas but low skill tiers complaining about the matchmaking system. At a certain point, you should be able to reach the hotness or higher, & THEN you will be able to expect good teammates. But, if you're in a low tier, don't expect as much. Even in the hotness I wouldn't expect much because there's so many intermediate players in there; these intermediate players all have the potential for a series of rookie mistakes.

2. Remember that other players are going to have bad games. We all have them (if you don't, you'll be in the pinnacle of awesome tier quite soon). But really, don't go into every match expecting players to be perfect. This game has complex builds, strategies, & teams that can all lead to one player having specific disadvantages or getting picked on. Example- you're skaarf & you're with a Celeste & krul. If the krul dies a ton, is it because of a bad matchmaking system? Probably not, because krul had to be up front in every fight taking all the damage while you sat back throwing fireballs. Think about the situation a player was placed in before you complain about them :D

3. Statistically speaking, the other team should have bad teammates about as often as your teams do. If you're finding that you're constantly losing, don't immediately blame it on your teammates; understand that you might not belong in that specific skill tier. Part of success in a skill tier involves being able to carry or lead a team even when the odds aren't in your favor.

4. If winning & good team play mean that much to you, use the forums, Twitter, or post match adding to develop good relationships & teammates that you can rely on. Seriously, this is important. Solo queue always comes with the risk of a poor player, but if you know your allies, well... It eliminates the risk. If you don't like the solo queue, try to avoid it the best you can :)

5. Fire the developers an email, phone call, or tweet. Going off on the forums will do nothing for the game. We have a great group of developers that are very community minded; they want to meet our needs in every update. It makes no sense to complain and then to take action. I'm sure with enough emails or tweets, they'll get the message & take steps to fix it.

6. As many have said on here, this is a free game with a small group of dev's that are hosting what I estimate to be 10,000+ players daily. It's not going to be perfect yet. Instead of bashing something & overlooking all the positives, try to remember that it's still a pretty good game that you pay nothing for ;)

& I can already guess what'll happen. Some player will come on here saying "dude, I was in simply amazing & now I'm in pretty good because of the matchmaking system, you don't know what you're talking about, this game sucks"

Like I said about the beginning, I'm not denying that there's flaws in the system, or that players could suffer for a little bit because of bad match ups. I've had plenty of senseless teammates myself. I will say, however, that as a player who has been in simply amazing for a while, & has accounts in the hotness & in pretty good (they're for trying other heroes), I've never had an extensively long dry run where I dropped a number of tiers. My experience with the system has been fairly decent in the 400+ games that I've played, & I've always been well aware that the system can never be perfect.

Thanks to all who read :)
Skill tier- usually floating around in simply amazing
Server- NA
I can play any position. Add me for a match!

Bootylicious
Notable (18)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Hydraxis_Ph1r3 » March 12, 2015 6:20pm | Report
Haha, amazing thread to make people aware and actually think if it's actually their teammates fault. The double edged sword about solo queue is how everyone has to adapt to what the other does. They run away from the enemy like cowards when they could've initiated and possibly kill the guy? Is that bad in a way? Unless it's a common sense thing (I.e. Enemy out of sight, could possibly switch the tides when you all go after the one guy or 2. You get the point haha) maybe they have a reason for it. Just because everyone can't play at your pace means you're going to have to notch it down and think why, how, what reason. Vainglory is an awesome game to keep you on your toes, and it also supports being a team player and the ability to adapt and overcome. Too bad this is a long read aswell but it's a good point to bring up imo. Sure some stuff doesn't go under this but everyone has a bad game and it doesn't go out like anyway you planned. But everyone has to accept that, I'm sure at least everyone has been in those shoes. Hopefully this clears up and I wish the devs the best of luck and many thanks for this beautifully amazing game. Cheers and Goodluck!
Server:NA
IG:Hydraxis
Main: Haven't decided
Good With: Ringo, SAW, and Krul
Tier: Decent-ish/Pretty Good

Hydraxis_Ph1r3
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bootylicious » March 12, 2015 7:57pm | Report
Thanks for the support hydraxis!! Glad to hear from you.

Yeah, unfortunately it is a long post, I wish I could shorten it but I had a lot to say lol. I agree on how adaptable we have to be in the solo queue; it's actually why I only play in the solo queue. Good luck playing!! May many wins come your way :-)
Server- NA

Bootylicious
Notable (18)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Aquiday » March 13, 2015 4:44am | Report
+Rep given for a very good post & sensible insight. I too tire of seeing so many rants about the matchmaking, the tiers, the etc etc... Wish there could be some other types of posts in the community, ones talking about strategies, heroes, pondering future updates, or anything other than the usual vitriol we're seeing nowadays.
IGN: Aquiday
Main(s): Ardan, Koshka
Secondary: Catherine
Region: South America
Karma level: 13
Wins: 100+
Tier: The Hotness

"I am the Crucible and the Flare..."

Aquiday
Notable (3)
Quote | PM | +Rep by wolf_hands » March 13, 2015 7:14am | Report
@Bootylicious I would like to add that a player's Karma level does not influence the matchmaking system. It is meant to reward you with extra Glory for not abandoning a match.
IGN: wolf_hands
NA Regional Community Manager for SEMC
I'm on Twitter and Twitch too!

wolf_hands
<SEMC Staff>
Remarkable (22)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bootylicious » March 13, 2015 3:18pm | Report
wolf_hands wrote:

@Bootylicious I would like to add that a player's Karma level does not influence the matchmaking system. It is meant to reward you with extra Glory for not abandoning a match.

Yes haha, I knew this. Did I put somewhere that it did influence the system...?
Server- NA

Bootylicious
Notable (18)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bootylicious » March 13, 2015 3:31pm | Report
Aquiday wrote:

+Rep given for a very good post & sensible insight. I too tire of seeing so many rants about the matchmaking, the tiers, the etc etc... Wish there could be some other types of posts in the community, ones talking about strategies, heroes, pondering future updates, or anything other than the usual vitriol we're seeing nowadays.

Yeah, I definitely know what you're saying. The forums could be used in awesome ways but a lot of players come on here to complain. Which is understandable, complaints make everybody aware of things... But it would really be nice to see other types of posts like you say.
Server- NA

Bootylicious
Notable (18)
Quote | PM | +Rep by longdongkim » March 13, 2015 5:08pm | Report
A very polite & well-written thread regarding players rant. However, all I see is just another thread with another player ranting about other players ranting.

That said, I think it's quite alright for players to do so on a forum because it gives everyone a place to express themselves and be heard. As a moderate forum visitor, I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever with seeing other players complain about noobs, matchmaking, quitting and all that. Why take such an effort to nudge others towards compliancy?

I also don't think the devs take it personal because they know VG is a GREAT game and despite the few bad apples, folks love it. I'm assuming they read the forums because theres a moderator, and it's pretty obvious when someone is just expressing their frustration versus someone who is being offensive or racist (I believe there was a thread that got locked just awhile back cuz of this) where it would actually be a problem.

Just because you've never had a long dry run, doesn't mean others never do as well. You are also attempting to set an example by listing your own point of view, which is cool. However, I would absolutely hate to see this interesting forum become like the FatesForever forum, where the mods actually make an active effort to discourage players from saying negative things about their game.

longdongkim
Notable (13)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bootylicious » March 13, 2015 5:42pm | Report
Long****kim, thanks for reading & for the constructive criticism!

First off, I wasn't trying to rant; I want people to consider some things before they spend time complaining about them. My post is a lot different from some of the matchmaking system complaints on here. I don't have a problem with players complaining, I have a problem with an issue constantly being mentioned in unhelpful ways. Many of the players who rant on either the matchmaking system or bad teammates choose to bash and mention other people they've played with, or bash the game itself. Neither of these things do much for anybody; there are a number of alternative solutions to the issue. Also, I feel like many people blame the system for reasons that have nothing to do with the system, & I was just trying to point that out.

It's not compliancy I'm looking for, it's consideration of 6 different things that could potentially solve the issue. I enjoy communication even if it's negative :D in fact, negative feedback is typically the most useful kind of feedback. But, unfortunately, it's not useful when its in the form of bashing rather than constructive criticism.

I don't think they take it personal either, & I would also hate to see the forums take that route. Like I said, negative feedback is the most useful. However, I would also hate to see the forums turn into a place where people repeatedly bash something without understanding it or taking any steps to make the situation better.

I don't have an issue with the rants themselves, I have an issue with the misunderstandings behind the rants. Thanks for your reply!!
Server- NA

Bootylicious
Notable (18)
Quote | PM | +Rep by MaximusP » March 14, 2015 6:47am | Report
Simplified: You can't win a game with bad teammates. Period. Except you are a real expert/programer. But the above-average players won't make it. I guarantee you. I usually do have 10+ kills if we lose. My kill ratio is usually above 20+ if we win. And yet I used to lose all of matches because of bad teammates.
It's just a fact which you can't deny.

Skilltier: The Hotness.

MaximusP
Notable (5)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved