Vainglory Forums

Why so many non-tanking Catherine's lately?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by kellytehuna » October 21, 2015 11:46am | Report
There seems to be move toward non-tank builds on Catherine. They work if you can dominate the match early. If you can't, you're screwed. AND they end up starving the jungle carry :(

kellytehuna
Notable (3)
Quote | PM | +Rep by EXXCLUSIVE » October 21, 2015 1:02pm | Report
It depends on different variables. Catherine is part of the new meta in 1.9. She received some minor enhanced changes. Playstyles, positioning, strategy among the few are what separates each of us that uses catherine. Its all about feeling comfortable and remembering it is skill that wins. Teamwork is highly encouraged. Have fun.
MY IGN - EXXCLUSIVE

GUILD: SENTINEL DRAGONS
TEAM: SENTINEL DRAGONS DYNASTY RED

RANK - Doesn't matter when it is Skill that counts

EXXCLUSIVE
Notable (14)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Veneticius » October 22, 2015 1:10pm | Report
i just encountered a not-tanky catherine on my team yesterday that actually carried 1/3 of the game.

He/She built fountain of renewal, aftershock, boots, breaking point. The game ended before I could see the final build.

In the end the catherine got about 9 kills and only 5 deaths. I was crystal taka and got 10 kills and deaths.

The catherine build lasted all the way to the end game on my team though - it was pretty strong. The only downside was that they needed more gold so they sometimes stole the minions on purpose.
Current Tier - The Hotness Bronze

And if you're looking for the Recruitment/Looking for a Guild Section, click here:

http://www.vaingloryfire.com/vainglory/forum/recruitment
I had trouble finding it at first too :)

And I swear it's not a RickRoll(or is it???)
And yes I realize that it has the vaingloryfire.com website name in the link so it's obviously not a trick.

Veneticius
Remarkable (21)
Quote | PM | +Rep by anthilltaco » October 22, 2015 1:37pm | Report
I used to build only crystal on Catherine and as far as I can remember I did pretty well. its all about the shield and eve of harvest combo not to mention aftershock can make her stun way more deadly. I think that the reason this works so well is because her supportive skills don't come from tankyness but from her insane ability to cripple the enemy team. and also if you play smart you can actually pick up a few kills. for example, I was roaming through the enemy jungle about mid game after stealing their mine and I was heading back to help my team when I noticed the taka they were fighting was retreating into the jungle. instead of chasing him down with my dash I ulted toward his direction and killed him before he even knew what happened. never underestimate her ult as I can be VERY handy. also NEVER fight a Catherine when her shield is up ESSPECIALLY if your teammate is really low health as that is pretty close to, if not a free kill for her. in the end, she doesn't have to be a tank to dominate the battlefield.
Why fix a game when you could just make it completely broken?

anthilltaco
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Halcius » October 23, 2015 8:52am | Report
Last night I got one of these in Ranked but I thought maybe he was messing around since we were untouchable and racking up kills early game. Until he killed himself trying to 1v1 the enemy Catherine, turns out he was just an idiot. His own Breaking Point backfired off her bubble and half his health got wiped in 3 autos, FML!

There is rarely ever even a decent reason for a roaming Catherine to go WP/CP in ranked. 9/10 games you play the enemy team will have their own support and some stun/silence, you're an *** if you selected roam and don't pick up Crucible. Unless you're in higher ranks you're going to run into a lot of dual WP carries, plus instalock SAW/Krul is a plague tiers 1-5, better get a Pauldron!
Fountain, Boots, IC are a must. This leaves any roamer with just 1 spare slot and in most cases it should be a Clockwork so that your carries can rely on your abilities being ready, don't let CD timer or lack of EP get in the way of helping your teammates.

Halcius
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyliaivalice1992 » October 23, 2015 12:14pm | Report
@halcius im afraid your logic is slightly flawed. If stormguard is doing that much damage then the enemy Catherine must have been crystal carrying. Weapon Catherine is very situational and only effective in rare situations I agree completely on that. But stormguarding ultimates is supporting your team more than stunning them is, especially if your stun secures the kill after you stormguard solar storm, hellfire brew or Kamehameha. You just have to have good positioning. Most people don't. With an uncoordinated team its downright impossible. But it makes Catherine a much better support in lane.
Xyliaivalice koshka, celeste, and ardan. I play for fun, not for sport. I make a decent teammate. Add me.

Xyliaivalice1992
Notable (4)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Halcius » October 23, 2015 1:15pm | Report
I know what I saw, I'm not mistaken, enemy Catherine's only CP item was AS. Her bubble didn't need CP boost to reflect mass amounts of damage. The 10+ BP stacks was enough for our teams Catherine to lay waste to herself. This really was a full WP Catherine, he had no health items and at least 2 other WP items.

Halcius
Notable (8)
Quote | PM | +Rep by kellytehuna » October 23, 2015 5:10pm | Report
I guess the gold stealing part is the part that gets me the most. I happened to have ended up with three games in a row as a jungler (Koshka, or Krul) with s Catherine that did not pick Ironguard Contract and was taking gold off me and the laner when we helped in the lane.

Non tank builds on Catherine don't scale quickly so she doesn't really shine until the late game, which is when her support/tank items would be more useful for the team.

Most people when they see a soft Catherine pick will assume she will tank so will go with a jungle, or lane carry pick. I can see if it were a team situation where you end up with a dual support pick and laner, but to do it blind in a solo queue situation typically hurts more than it helps. It's definitely hurt me more than it's helped. I've lost almost every game when this occurs.

kellytehuna
Notable (3)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Kismutt » October 28, 2015 6:20pm | Report
At the team pick I wish they would just say that they are jungle and go with that. I've done the same as many others and picked a jungle hero, usually Koshka or Taka only to find that my support isn't...

Kismutt
Notable (2)
Quote | PM | +Rep by KuntFu » October 29, 2015 5:59am | Report
Whatever works, works. Catherine was my main for the longest time. I play her aggressively but support. Breaking point doesn't make sense to me because I don't want the fight to even go that long. I'd rather build items that can cripple the enemy so my team can do it. But to each his own.

In my opinion, just like all games, it's best to exploit the strengths and deal with subtle weakness of the characters you choose, paired with your skill to get the most effective play. For Catherine, only weakness in my play style is her cooldown, once that is fixed I make her stormgaurd better and maximize her ability to move fast, tank, gank and stun. For someone who wants to be devious I suppose breaking point could work. It's my least favourite item in the game though. I'm a fan of stunning, tanking, luring with trickery and especially burst damage. When I'm not using Skye or joule, it's Catherine.

I agree that not locking in your role is a disaster.

KuntFu

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved