Vainglory Forums

Caerine - Warhorn or Contraption?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by Pears » May 29, 2015 9:25am | Report
I play Catherine and I used to always rush Warhorn as my first item. Now that they've split its abilities up with Contraption, though, I'm not so sure what to do. Is Contraption better with her? The extra health and mobility on Warhorn is nice, but cooldown, energy recharge, and unlimited flares and scout traps is pretty awesome on Contraption. Is it a crazy idea to get both? Does anyone know if the DPS stacks if you get both of them? Or should you just pick one and then switch to other items?

Pears
Quote | PM | +Rep by Pears » May 29, 2015 9:25am | Report
Sorry, meant Catherine in the title

Pears
Quote | PM | +Rep by Malgus23 » May 29, 2015 12:17pm | Report
I think warhorn if gotten in early game and contraption in late

Malgus23
<Editor>
Notable (5)
Quote | PM | +Rep by ConfuTrex » June 7, 2015 5:03am | Report
I usually get contraption first, mainly because contraption and help you stratagise and prepare for enemy incoming. If you use the mine well in the early games with contraption you can do serious damage. War horn is only good if you have a huge advantage on the opposing teaM.
IGN: ConfuT-rex
Region: South East Asia
Main Hero: Catherine/Krul/Taka/Ringo
Practicing: Joule/Petal
Skill Tier: The Hotness
Karma Level: 16
Wins: 546

ConfuTrex
Quote | PM | +Rep by FederalMafia » July 7, 2015 7:04pm | Report
I like to play with Contraption when my team is more geared toward pushing the enemy team and playing offensively. Flares to find the enemy and scout traps to cover retreats if we over extend. Scout traps while fleeing can turn a close fight around in a hurry if you can bait the enemy team into them. I get warhorn when my team looks like it needs to escape often and is playing more defensively. The health HP's help to stay near the action longer and cover my team mates retreat. The stronger boost against jungle mobs helps to either farm faster to catch up or help beat down the Kraken.

But that is my play style and might not work for everyone...
[*] IGN - FederalMafia (NA)

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide mission."

FederalMafia
Notable (7)
Quote | PM | +Rep by IronChef » July 26, 2015 4:35pm | Report
Don't waste the money or the space on contraption. Catherine is best as a tank and support - IMO. Buy the mines individually and lay them where needed but them you still have that slot open. It's more about being judicious with your money and slots. Once you have spent that much money on contraption you can never lay enough mines to make it pay off.

IronChef
Notable (1)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Yangusbeef » July 29, 2015 10:08pm | Report
Contraption is a waste of money and is only good for lazy players. You will get much more value from buying the mines individually.
I never play scaarf but I have him as my avatar to mess with people.
I am a young pizza cat, even though I hate koshka.
IGN: Yangusbeef
Rank: Pretty good. It fluctuates between bronze, silver. and gold, but I usually never go under or over that.

Yangusbeef
Notable (11)
Quote | PM | +Rep by FederalMafia » July 30, 2015 7:24pm | Report
Contraption is a great fit to Catherine. Some other people or focusing on the mines and flares, but a big plus to this item is the 30% cooldown acceleration. I get Clockwork along with Contraption for the 80% cooldown acceleration. If you are playing as a pure tank and don't go with Aftershock, Contraption will help you with mob clearing and getting off your abilities faster.

When paired with Fountain of Renewal, Contraption will give you extremely fast health regeneration to help keep you in the map longer and away from having to heal back at your base.
[*] IGN - FederalMafia (NA)

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide mission."

FederalMafia
Notable (7)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Yangusbeef » July 31, 2015 9:10am | Report
Mafia forgot to mention the acceleration/regeneration are sh*t
I never play scaarf but I have him as my avatar to mess with people.
I am a young pizza cat, even though I hate koshka.
IGN: Yangusbeef
Rank: Pretty good. It fluctuates between bronze, silver. and gold, but I usually never go under or over that.

Yangusbeef
Notable (11)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Nicknation » August 1, 2015 9:18am | Report
Yangusbeef wrote:

Mafia forgot to mention the acceleration/regeneration are sh*t

No Mafia is right imo. I main Catherine and Taka. I build Contraption and Aftershock personally. Clockwork is a bit of an overkill though because the more CDA you get, there's diminishing returns. Aftershock and Contraption work incredibly well with Catherine as if you overdrive her second ability she has a 3 second cooldown on it. That makes her as tanky as you will ever need and you won't struggle with mana problems when you overdrive her Merciless Pursuit. The item combos let her deal damage and provide tons of vision for your team.

I don't mean to hype myself but for the OP, since you were asking about what to build. I have a Catherine build that I use pretty much exactly in that order every time and it works great.

Nicknation

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved