Vainglory Forums

Review about the matchmaking system

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on VaingloryFire.
Quote | PM | +Rep by uncrudable » March 11, 2016 9:00pm | Report
@Halcius Stats vs Stats. Halcius seems to have won that. What a stat- egic battle of words. Anyone? No? Ok I'll show myself out for the ****py pun that wasn't really a pun and also is a spelling error.

@Venecitius Well I've got very close to silver by solo queueing in the last two hours or so, literally on the dot. Idk if I should continue solo queue or play with friends and hope they don't **** it up lol

uncrudable
Remarkable (25)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bootylicious » March 11, 2016 9:16pm | Report
Nobody has answered my question as to how the system could be "biased." I don't think many players on here understand the concepts of statistics and algorithms. They aren't designed to make a specific group or player fail. The likelihood of getting matched with **** teammates is just as high as that happening to the enemy team. Anecdotal evidence from a few players here and there (which is often quite different than my experience of normal matches) doesnt really prove for me that the system is flawed. Also, people seem to forget that the further you drop, the more you experience trolls & noobs, so it creates a snowball effect when you begin to decline in rank.

Please people, question the underlying system & the math behind it instead of ranting for paragraphs about a rough game & bashing one another. Make sure to take human behavior & decisions into account when questioning the matchmaking system. It's pairing us with real people, and you can't completely quantify skill & consistency. There's going to be some variations. If you're constantly being matched with people WELL outside your tier, that's one thing... But I haven't seen that much. & that's a fixable issue. Your playing skills & the decisions other players make when you, say, instalock a character or choose saw or something dumb, are not fixable and no system could end the match variations that arise from those things.
Skill tier- usually floating around in simply amazing
Server- NA
I can play any position. Add me for a match!

Bootylicious
Notable (18)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Bootylicious » March 11, 2016 9:31pm | Report
& when thinking on the statistics, remember that there will be outliers. There will be winning streaks, losing streaks, bad players in tiers too good for them, good players in tiers too low for them, etc.

In the long run, all things will be made equal and it will come down to YOUR playing skill. Dropping a tier can and will happen in the short run, but playing skill will be the ultimate factor. There's always the chance you were in a tier too high for you.

45 games in a row is an awful sample. 45 in a row is exhausting and you would focus and perform poorly after a certain number. The system alone may not be designed for matching you that many times in a row. Your sample size, Maximus, should be something performed at different times of the day for different days and for multiple weeks. That way, it is not subject to whatever energy you had at the time or whatever potentially bad playing styles you adopted (yes, playing style does change and is a variable). This sample alone was an outlier; never use outliers for a sample

The fact that you don't understand samples or testing concepts indicates that you aren't the most reliable of sources on the subject
Skill tier- usually floating around in simply amazing
Server- NA
I can play any position. Add me for a match!

Bootylicious
Notable (18)
Quote | PM | +Rep by MaximusP » March 12, 2016 4:58am | Report
@Booty:

It should be clear that I was obviously not making a scientific study out of this...I was just trying to give you guys an example. I am not writing a dissertation about the system :D

MaximusP
Notable (5)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Veneticius » March 12, 2016 1:23pm | Report
@MaximusP

I still can't believe you played 45 games in role, nearly being the loser in all of them. That's insane. How can you go through that many losses without feeling that you should stop? I can only handle 3 losses a day so you must be one tough guy to not be demoralized :0
Current Tier - The Hotness Bronze

And if you're looking for the Recruitment/Looking for a Guild Section, click here:

http://www.vaingloryfire.com/vainglory/forum/recruitment
I had trouble finding it at first too :)

And I swear it's not a RickRoll(or is it???)
And yes I realize that it has the vaingloryfire.com website name in the link so it's obviously not a trick.

Veneticius
Remarkable (21)
Quote | PM | +Rep by uncrudable » March 12, 2016 1:43pm | Report
Well it might be the fact that you do get demoralised but you get determined from your salt to rank back up so you keep matching up and it gets worse and worse as it goes on.

uncrudable
Remarkable (25)
Quote | PM | +Rep by MaximusP » March 12, 2016 1:52pm | Report
Veneticius wrote:

@MaximusP

I still can't believe you played 45 games in role, nearly being the loser in all of them. That's insane. How can you go through that many losses without feeling that you should stop? I can only handle 3 losses a day so you must be one tough guy to not be demoralized :0

Maybe that's also why I wrote this 'rant' thread and got extremely pissed. I have to add that I was ill for a week and I had to take 2 days off from work. That's why I wasted a whole day doing nothing better than playing like a dumbf* 45 matches.

About the 'biased' meaning in that context. I used the term in a wrong context. All I wanted was to understate that the matching system has flaws.

Another reason which came up to my mind: The more I played the more I lose. And obviously people started to downgrade my karma after a loss. Maybe because my karma had dropped from 'Great Karma' to 'Good Karma' I got also matched with people with lower tier and skills than I was used to play with.

Nevertheless, I am playing now with PoA people and this is a total different league. It's so much more intense and difficult to pay attention. If you make a small mistake the game can be over after only 14 minutes.

MaximusP
Notable (5)
Quote | PM | +Rep by Veneticius » March 12, 2016 5:16pm | Report
@MaximusP

I think that casual play is better than ranked play for your case. You already have an extremely high rank to show off, you probably have all the heroes, and there are these trolls you encounter in rank mode. What do you have to prove in ranked mode?

In casual mode, it will be filled with noobs. This might seem bad, but it could be in your favor. Casual is more "balanced" so each team is made up of noobs(with you as the exception). That means if you can play a carry hero like Skaarf, then you can wreck the enemy team regardless of how bad your teammates are.

If you want more competitive play, casual can still be the answer. As you consistently win matches, your casual matchmaking ELO(CMELO) will pair you up with people at your skill level. You'll be able to not worry about your rank, and play intense games. The only downside is that you might get paired up with people weaker than people in ranked, but that won't happen often if you win a lot of games.

I haven't tested the theory that casual is better than ranked, but I just won a match in casual carrying my team so yay :D

If I went ranked I'm pretty sure I would've lost. The draft mode is cool and all, but it limits my potential to carry my team.
Current Tier - The Hotness Bronze

And if you're looking for the Recruitment/Looking for a Guild Section, click here:

http://www.vaingloryfire.com/vainglory/forum/recruitment
I had trouble finding it at first too :)

And I swear it's not a RickRoll(or is it???)
And yes I realize that it has the vaingloryfire.com website name in the link so it's obviously not a trick.

Veneticius
Remarkable (21)
Quote | PM | +Rep by vikings102 » March 12, 2016 5:35pm | Report
I also did the quick math to the person that played 45 games in one day, and I just immediately call utter ********.

If we assume that each game lasted 15-20 mins, at 15 mins a game you would have played 11.25 hours, in one day, and that is the shortest it could come up with, at 20 mins a match it is 15 hours and I didn't even bother to do 25-30 mins as it is so obvious that it is at least partially fake/made up.

vikings102
Remarkable (25)
Quote | PM | +Rep by MaximusP » March 12, 2016 11:33pm | Report
@veneticius:

I was *****ing so much 'back then' until my guild mates started to team up with me. I am only playing with PoA and VG people since one day and I have dropped already because these guys are really superior skilled than what I am used to be. I am not *****ing around now but just want to tell you when I started this thread I was at SA and dropped to PG. As my aussie friend has already stated I was demoralized and determined to keep on going and try my best to get back my ranking.

@vikings:

don't missaprehend* me. I know it sounds crazy. And to be honest. If I look back right now, I wouldn't even believe myself I was doing that wasting half a day playing ranked solo matches. And for your consideration, it was not 11.25 hours but absolutely 24+3 hours before I wrote down that thread. So yeah you could call me easily a freak. But I really did play that much of ranked games and I got totally destroyed. Anyone who calls me out as fake or my little 'experiment', well...believe what you want. I just wanted to show you the experience I made. Believe it or not. Your call.

MaximusP
Notable (5)

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

VaingloryFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite VG hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 VaingloryFire | All Rights Reserved